Menu

Reading Eggs

mom2bee

I just created a login for this site because of a special free trail. You get 2 weeks automatically and if you use this code: USP22HDD

then the trial is 5 weeks.

I only looked at it last night, I don't think I like it. TOO Edutainment and the singing is annoying, but if its free, I like to be able to offer my younger reading students fun incentives to press on or just give them fun reinforcement. But we were only on for a few minutes and I still have to explore around a bit.

Anyway, if anyone wants to use it please do.

http://www.readingeggs.com

It is a bit of edutainment, but it really does teach. My 5 year old son has been using it since August and is now on the 5th map and lesson 44. He can read cvc words and blends now. He is working on spelling skills and can spell words like spin, thin,...just from doing Reading Eggs.

I have only just now started The Reading Lesson and I can tell that Reading Eggs laid a good foundation. There are free activity pages that coincide with the lessons that teach how to write the letters and are phonics worksheets to reinforce the lesson.

It is great to try it free, but I don't regret paying for the year's subscription that I got through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

It is a bit of edutainment, but it really does teach. My 5 year old son has been using it since August and is now on the 5th map and lesson 44. He can read cvc words and blends now. He is working on spelling skills and can spell words like spin, thin,...just from doing Reading Eggs.

I have only just now started The Reading Lesson and I can tell that Reading Eggs laid a good foundation. There are free activity pages that coincide with the lessons that teach how to write the letters and are phonics worksheets to reinforce the lesson.

It is great to try it free, but I don't regret paying for the year's subscription that I got through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

Thats good to hear. I have heard it mentioned several times but am reluctant to use "edutainment" for something as essential Reading or Math, for many reasons, one of which is remediating the bad habits kids pick up from them can be a pain, and in 30 minutes of leap frog, we can read several phonics words, play a game, have a treat and do a review. So typically I get more out of direct instruction with "boring" or "traditional" materials...

I will have to explore Reading Eggs some more though, I'd like to make it work, even if only as a fun supplement, but I like Reading Bear better, not nearly as much fluff...

Mom2bee,

We had a similar experience. We stacked coupon codes and got a six-week trial.

I let DS play it (he was thrilled), but very quickly saw that there was too much entertainment associated with it.

I also noticed that his retention of the material was very low. When he thought he had learned something, he couldn't recall the information away from the program.

We haven't been back to the site.

Both of my older children love it as well, but I'm not opposed to some "edutainment"(I learned a new word today!). I don't use it for teaching value, as I already use my own materials for teaching phonics, reading, and spelling. For us, it is using something that has some educational value for fun rather than some regular video game that has no benefits whatsoever.

Both my kids use it - but we use it as reinforcement not as a whole phonics program. My 4yo is on Map 8 and still cruising through.

We stacked codes as well to get a long free trial but Reading Eggs cancelled them :glare: so now I have to pay for another subscription which I haven't done yet because I'm feeling annoyed that I have to pay when half the people on this board are using it for free. :tongue_smilie: But I'll get over it because my DS really wants to finsih it.