Menu

Genevieve Foster books

It's been a while since we read these, since we used them back in younger years with MFW. And my dd might have used one in high school thru Beautiful Feet, but that would be some 8 years ago.

However, since you aren't getting many bites, I'll just say that usually I schedule a chapter a day in most books. Seems like that makes up a "complete thought." And usually my kids will be doing something else alongside the chapter, such as another reading such as maybe an Usborne type encyclopedia, writing about what they read, timeline, mapping, etc. (Not all of those on the same day, but a few.)

Julie

We read a couplE of these last year. How long they took, well it seemed like forever. We hated them. We slogged through but replaced them this year. You might get more response on the k-8 or middle school boards since they are targeted to a younger audience.

Ren Learn lists the books at 7.8-8.0 gl for George Washington's World and Lincoln - but I used the Augustus Caesar's World this year w/ dd's 10th grade World History as an additional resource. We did 3 chpts a week but we did them together for the discussion benefit. I plan to have her add in the others this next year when we do Am History. DS will use two in his 8th grade SL program (Core H) but he's more of a history buff and quicker reader than dd. DD is math/science.

We loved these books, but they aren't really the kind of thing you could just sit down and read straight through - that would be pretty rough slogging. I broke the readings up to coincide the time periods we studies through the year. So we might spend 2-4 months on a book.

:iagree: We loved Foster's books, but I think that they're better in little chunks. The reading level isn't tough, but the information is densely packed. I coordinated her books with our history studies, and we read them together with lots of discussion.

And started Abe Lincoln's world last week. We have followed Ambleside ONline's reading plan for these books. AO breaks the reading down into a weekly chunk, but my son, who's dyslexic, reads a section 4x a week instead of all in one day. Many of the AO families read each week's schedule reading at one time in one day.

You might want to check out how they have it scheduled.

:iagree: We loved Foster's books, but I think that they're better in little chunks. The reading level isn't tough, but the information is densely packed. I coordinated her books with our history studies, and we read them together with lots of discussion.

:iagree:

We read a couplE of these last year. How long they took, well it seemed like forever. We hated them. We slogged through but replaced them this year. You might get more response on the k-8 or middle school boards since they are targeted to a younger audience.

All of the sources for them that I have looked at say they are for 6th-12th grades.