Menu

Koine Greek after Bluedorn's Homeschool Greek?

I just found this at Amazon, a Graded Reader of Biblical Greek, also by Mounce.

I think this reader plus the Basics course ought to be about right. DS has been using a Greek NT (along with an audio version) for a reader to supplement Bluedorn's course, so he should be able to handle this, I hope.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

We have been looking at the Mounce books too. Unfortunately that fact the I am seriously considering them is all I can recommend.

We've been using the elementary Greek books. DD should finish the third by fall. I didn't know Bluedorn had Greek.

They look lovely but the Mounce books are a far more cost effective option. Plus he apparently is the expert since he is in charge of the ESV translation.

I've been planning to post asking about these books. Maybe someone in the hive knows.....

My SIL loaned the Bluedorn set, so we got to try it for free. DS really likes it.

He didn't care for it at first, because he preferred the efficient style of his Latin and Spanish materials and Homeschool Greek is very wordy, but he's learned so much. As I said, we supplemented with different audio and a Greek New Testament as well as other Bible study tools for Greek.

I did a search here on Koine Greek, and nobody ever seems to have used Bluedorn's course. I guess it's not very popular. My SIL and her dc never got past the first few lessons.

Mounce is a great college/seminary level textbook for Koine. There are many "helps" on-line. I think his website is teknia.com? You want the textbook and the workbook, not the graded reader. That is for later. There are also vocabulary cards you can buy. I don't have the latest version, but my textbook came with a CD with short lectures on each chapter. You can also buy the full lectures. I'm thinking the answers have to be downloaded and printed out, though.

You can see the first several chapters at his website to get an idea how much review it would be.

Blessings,