Menu

OK I am motivated to get a clothes line, where?

I asked at Home Depot the other day and the 2 men had no idea what I was talking about asked a woman and she told me they don't carry them. I see you can order them from Amazon, but how about regular stores? So where do I find a clothes line and what kind do you recommend? The umbrella type is what I had at my old house, but I also see the retractable ones might be nice.

Thanks

Katty

We made our own using some bits and pieces from Lowe's or HD (don't remember which). We attached plastic pulley and bracket to our house and then put a wooden post by part of our fence and strung another pulley and bracket there. The clothes line rope itself came from Walmart I believe. The whole project cost less than $20. If you need more specific info. let me know and I'd be happy to get additional details from my dh.

In my area you just go to the local welding shop and they will weld you some very sturdy clothes lines. You put them in the ground with cement. They work great!!! I have 4 lines on my clothes line, and most of them are full at the moment!

We had our locally-owned hardware store order one for us that looks like this

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-186-outdoor-clothes-dryers-/clothesline-t-post-104773.aspx

It took dh a few hours to install ( requires the post be cemented into the ground). Someone on another board somewhere recommended driving around the countryside and finding an old clothesline set-up that no-one cares for anymore and offering them a few bucks for it. Might be worth a try. ;)

Margaret

I'm a clothesline novice, but I had to improvise when our dryer died. I recommend getting a free-standing porch swing. :) Ours has a bar across the top that looked to me suspiciously like the bar in a closet. I didn't want to go all the way down in the yard to hang clothes, because I'm lazy. Our swing is on the back deck and has a canopy. I took off the canopy because we seldom use it anyway. We keep hangers in the laundry room and put the clothes on hangers as soon as they come out, and clip shorts and pants on the hangers meant for pants and skirts. I drape our towels over hangers like I would put them on a towel rack, or else I drape them over our deck chairs. As I said in my other post, our undies are hung in our laundry room. Target has a great retractable clothesline, and I installed two in the laundry room (it's a big laundry room). And hour later I go get them, return the hangers to the laundry room so the next kid in line can do his own laundry. I've never run out of room on the "line" with this method as long as I wait an hour or so between loads.

I bought mine last year at our local Ace Hardware store. I noticed the other day that they have even more varieties than last year. I have the umbrella type and really like it. The base, which is essentially a piece of plastic made to hold the pole, was set into concrete. In the winter, I close up the umbrella and take the pole out of the hole to store in my garage.

You all really need to see my lines. :) Since I live in Amish Country and they don't have dryers, everyone has a clothes line. And, we have deluxe clothes lines. They are really heavy duty T poles, with 5 lines between. On the ends of the T's you pull out a long piece of metal with holes in it (I don't know how to explain it) to hang hangers. So, your dresses, dress shirts you just put on a hanger and stick in the holes to dry.

Ours are made at the local welding shop for $60.00/pole. Not cheap, but they will last forever.