Menu

Lessons from "The Hunger Games"

Any Katniss Evergreen fans out there? I read The Hunger Games at the same time that I was reading Parenting Teens with Love and Logic, and came up with some blog-worthy insights about an event that happens in the third book between Haymitch and Katniss. (No spoilers, I promise!)

What I'm wondering, is what other learning lessons have come across to adults who have read The Hunger Games? I want to make some mental notes for talking points to have with my kids someday, when they are old enough to read the series.

I was thinking that from a teen perspective, The Hunger Games are an interesting contrast to the Twilight series, in terms of how teenage romance is portrayed. I could see a teen coming away from the Twilight books and thinking that there is only one person in the whole world who could make you happy and if you don't have that person your life isn't worth living. But that is not how teenage love is portrayed in the Hunger Games.

Eeek! Future conversations with my future teens are already freaking me out!

Whiile I found the book terribly depressing, I realized that I was reading it from the standpoint of a parent, and upset by the idea that the parents had no way to protect or provide for their children. However my 13yo dd found the book exciting. She was focused on the heroine as an inspiring character who was self reliant, smart, and able to affect great change in her world.

That said, my dd was a little upset and did not at first want to concede my point that if we looked at our society in terms of HG, most Americans are residents of the Capitol. We have so much to eat that we seek artificial ways to burn off the excess calories. Many families have more vehicles and media screens than they do family members. Clothing is abundant and entertainments increasingly debasing and violent. Much to think about.

Whiile I found the book terribly depressing, I realized that I was reading it from the standpoint of a parent, and upset by the idea that the parents had no way to protect or provide for their children. However my 13yo dd found the book exciting. She was focused on the heroine as an inspiring character who was self reliant, smart, and able to affect great change in her world.

That said, my dd was a little upset and did not at first want to concede my point that if we looked at our society in terms of HG, most Americans are residents of the Capitol. We have so much to eat that we seek artificial ways to burn off the excess calories. Many families have more vehicles and media screens than they do family members. Clothing is abundant and entertainments increasingly debasing and violent. Much to think about.

Very true.