Menu

What is that 3-2 program called?

I'm not sure what word you're looking for, because I always refer to those programs as 3/2 programs. :) There are quite a few LACs that seem to have them. Some schools call it the "pre-engineering" major, while some other schools have kids major in something like applied physics or chemistry, then transfer to the engineering program after their third year.

Yes, that's what I mean. Is there a name for that type of a program?

How would I find out which schools have them and which schools they pair with? It was my understanding that the student would attend a LAC and transfer to a new school after the 3 years, but from your response, I assume they could just transfer from one college to another within the same university.

LAC = "Liberal Arts College" :)

Sometimes those programs are referred to as "binary degree programs" but usually they're just called 3/2 programs.

Here's a link to the 3/2 program at Wooster, as an example.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Usually, the student leaves their LAC after three years and goes to a different university to finish their engineering degree. The only one that I know of that works a bit differently is the one at Benedictine College in KS.

My daughter wants to pursue engineering, but has no desire to attend one school for three years only to have to apply, then switch to another to finish her degree.

We attended a transfer event and our local CC has paired with WPI. You have to take certain very specific classes at the CC- but WPI will accept them all and you attend last two years there.

A few of them you could still take third year at CC. I imagine other CC's offer these type programs as well, may be a good cost savings for us.

K

We called it a 3/2. My dh did a 4/1 1/2 and got his master's degree in ee and undergrad in math. The math degree has proved to be a benefit all on its own. He kind of made that decision to do 4/ 1 1/2 instead of 3/2 b/c he didn't want to leave me and all his friends..... just saying best laid plans can be undone by one pretty smile...