Menu

Moving to the UK

I haven't been on the boards in forever, and so much life has gone by. :)

I popped in today with hopes that someone here would be able to help me with a few questions/problems I am having.

1. I'm unsure where to find an international moving company. I feel uneasy picking a random company online and not knowing what I am getting into. If anyone knows of an international moving company they could recommend I would appreciate it.

2. I am trying to figure out where to buy homeschool supplies, especially materials for science experiments in the UK. We will be living in Newcastle, if that helps.

I know I originally had more questions, but I can't think of them at this time.

Thanks

Hi. I've been living in the UK for 11 years. I don't have the name of a moving company because when we came over we just shipped a couple of pallets through a freight forwarding company, and it was so long ago we don't remember their name.

I can tell you about homeschool suppliers though. I get as many books as I can from Amazon.co.uk and BookDepository.co.uk. Some curriculum is available from ConquestBooks.co.uk and IchthusResources.co.uk. Conquest Books sells lab kits for Apologia. I recently asked about a source for ph indicator strips, and someone here recommended RapidOnline.com. I didn't buy from them so I can't recommend them personally, but they do seem to have a good selection.

There's a supplier for science stuff in Edinburgh. I haven't used him but I know some home educators have.

When we moved back from China, we found a company there that was recommended by friends. Most big companies have arrangements with agents in other countries who handle the delivery. Just make sure your insurance is adequate.

Think twice about what you bring: British houses are small by (most) US standards and you may find that your furniture is on the wrong scale and you have much more kitchen equipment than will fit into your new kitchen.

Laura

:iagree:

We bought an industrial power converter for my kitchen appliences -- mainly so my kitchen aid mixer could go. I didn't want to live without it. My DH ordered from "the south", paid around £100 for it. We couldn't live without it.

We moved 5years ago and it has worked out great. We are in the US for 2 more weeks. If you want the name of the converter company I can get it when we return.

I buy a lot of my curriculum in the US with free shipping and carry it back. That is changing because there is more available in the UK all the time.

Another piece of advice is for us it has been easier to meet people and make friends in a village. When we first moved we lived in a city and knew hardly anyone. The villages are easier especially if you use the local shops.

Another piece of advice is for us it has been easier to meet people and make friends in a village. When we first moved we lived in a city and knew hardly anyone. The villages are easier especially if you use the local shops.

We find village life much friendlier. Hobbies are a good way to meet people though, even in cities. For example, most areas have at least one amateur choir and that's a good way to get to know people.

Laura

Thank you all for your quick responses. We are still waiting for our visa applications to be approved, but I don't see any reason to be denied at this point. We should know the verdict in a week or two. Eek!

We are really trying to weigh things out before packing. If it can be replaced for equal or less than moving it, it's out. I know I'll need to buy a converter once we are settled, but I am trying to limit electronics. (difficult when you have a preteen)

We are currently using TOG, BJU science, Saxon math (which I swore I would never go back to), Rod and Staff grammar, and IEW. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something) We have finally found a good fit for DS, and I would like to continue using them if feasible. We will be travelling to and from the US at least twice a year, so bringing some books won't be a problem. :) I was really nervous about science supplies, so thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't know why I am so worried about science. Perhaps it's because FIL is an ex-chemistry professor, and I know we will be under watch. :glare: Honestly, he really isn't bad. Who knows why I get such crazy obsessions? lol

I'll stop rambling now. :) Thanks again for the help.

We are really trying to weigh things out before packing. If it can be replaced for equal or less than moving it, it's out. I know I'll need to buy a converter once we are settled, but I am trying to limit electronics. (difficult when you have a preteen)

Look on the back of all your electronics and see if it says something like 120-240V. Many electronics convert automatically, so you'd just need plug adapters, not voltage changers. We used the boys' Game Boys and DS machines all over the world in both voltages, as well as our Mac laptops.

Things like mixers usually need a voltage converter, but you might find it easier just to rebuy here.

Good luck, and do ask about anything else you are concerned about. I am a member of a small UK online group for structured home educators, if that might be helpful to you. I found that most other UK HE were fairly free form.

Laura