Menu

AP tests and classical education?

I know this is going to be controversial, but we are just starting in on serious college planning and AP's, etc... and I find I'm asking myself, "What on earth happen to our classical education?"

Ds is finishing up his first AP class (Engl Lang & Comp). It has been a demanding class, but I figured that is good for a teen boy. Then I picked up a test prep book for him, and I can't believe the ridiculous questions in it. This represents everything I hated about school. I have taught literature, lit analysis and grammar for years, but you wouldn't know it from from my brief tour through the practice test. I can't believe we call this education. I am having serious second thoughts about the AP's I had planned for next year (US & Comp Government).

So, is a classical education no longer good enough? Are we trading wisdom and understanding for useless trivia and a slot at a "selective college"? Or is this a necessary evil? What is the point of homeschooling and education in the first place? What are you thoughts? My brain is fried from going back and forth! :rant:

Edited by MommyThrice
Correct grammar in my statement about teaching grammar!

I would love to hear other responses. My son is at the very beginning and we've been hoping AP would be a way to give rigor and have accountability. I am so disturbed to hear that some APs test just memorization and "useless trivia," as you say.

Have other felt this, too? In most subjects? I think I need to head to the bookstore and peruse some AP practice guides...

I would love to hear other responses. My son is at the very beginning and we've been hoping AP would be a way to give rigor and have accountability. I am so disturbed to hear that some APs test just memorization and "useless trivia," as you say.

Have other felt this, too? In most subjects? I think I need to head to the bookstore and peruse some AP practice guides...

I am also interested in other's experiences. My oldest only has experience with 2 AP classes so far -physic B (algebra based)last year and chemistry this year. I have felt both were worthwhile classes.

However, I have heard that the AP Biology is mostly memorization (and he is not interested at all in plants - which also is a big factor for him) so ds has decided to skip that class. (I haven't researched the new AP Biology to be released next year.)

I would be interested to know about the humanity courses as well.:bigear:

Our experiences:

AP math, most of the sciences, and foreign language classes were very rewarding and worthwhile & a very nice challenge here. Included in this category were Calc BC, Statistics, Computer Science AB, Chemistry, both Physics Cs, and Latin Literature and Vergil.

English Language and Comp was invaluable to my daughter (couldn't convince ds to take that one). The PA Homeschooler class had high standards and taught her how to analyze nonfiction texts and write analytical papers, argumentative essays, synthesis essays, and the research paper. I'm not understanding what you mean by trivia on that exam; it doesn't test any work in particular, but rather critical reading and writing.

AP biology and US Government seemed more memorize and regurgitate to my kids. It will be interesting to see how the biology exam will change; sounds like they're going in the right direction with more depth and less breadth.

We also did AP Economics, but I had no involvement in that with my kids, so I can't comment.

ETA: We didn't do any of the AP History tests; we studied history the classical WTM way.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

I just bought the study guide for APUSH. I read this...

"African American history, women's history and the key vocabulary terms are the essential building blocks of any successful coalition. The three topics generated 90 points, enough to earn a 4."

Nothing in that statement above about the country's founding, about the Pilgrims and first settlers, etc. I'm sure it's covered, but looks like only modestly. It says you do not need to know who any of the generals are for the civil war. Only one or two civil war battles are even named in the test.

It also says you can mostly ignore anything after about 1970 because it never appears on the test.

The study guide seems very liberal and agenda driven, which I think probably reflects the test, not the study guide publisher.

The SAT II guide reads the same.

I too am reconsidering AP for social studies.

They feel that the test focuses on areas they don't agree with.

I have mixed feelings about it. AP exams did help me personally with scholarships and credits for classes I didn't have to take, but then I transferred and the next school only gave credit for one subject after a lot of negotiating. The second school's policies didn't even consider them in scholarship applications.

Mine will probably take several, but I'm also thinking an SAT II and a few CLEP exams as well. I wish that I didn't have to piece it together that way, but I'd like for them to get a few credits out of the way in addition to showing their potential.

I am wrestling with this right now.

My oldest is well versed in history. For his junior year, he has requested to do a year of American history. Because he knows history so well, I am willing to follow his interest.

If we were not moving, we'd do a wonderful American History class with our current co-op. But we are moving. We could do it at home, but he's used to talking through ideas with other people now. So we are considering PA HS APUSH.

I don't want to do this class if it is focused only on the AP test. I don't want to do it if it emphasizes memorization and trivia. My son is hoping for a challenging class with some real depth.

I think we'll end up doing AP classes where they suit our program, but otherwise, not. I don't plan to sweat that much.