Menu

South Korean International Business Travelers?

The hive has been a great source for obscure advice. I have a new one (for us) that I could use advice on.

Hubby leaves for South Korea on an Engineering adviser business trip for a client - client will be there too. He'll be meeting with upper level government officials on the other end.

We live in a rural area where suits are frowned upon. I KNOW this isn't true in South Korea (at least I think I know that), so we need to go clothing shopping soon - probably Wednesday evening.

What would you get him?

The trip lasts one week.

Cell phone options?

Anything else you can think of?

Seriously, the last time this guy has been overseas (not counting Canada - which is NOT overseas) was before we were married (over 20 years ago) and then he was in a Navy uniform so didn't have to worry about dress clothing. He's been an engineer all this time, so isn't worried about the 'work' aspect of it all. He's even done jobs overseas (Nigeria, Australia, UK, etc) but he never was asked to travel to any of them. I'm certain the work part is covered. Now we just need to outfit the guy (and we're on a budget, so no super high priced suits).

Navy blue suit, dark socks, black lace-up shoes, white shirt, conservative tie. This is appropriate throughout Chinese Asia... (Singapore is slightly less severe). I'm guessing that Korea might be similar.

Make sure he has name cards, lots of them. Make sure the title reflects the role he will be playing on the visit, so he gets taken seriously. People hand out name cards when they meet on business in Asia.

Laura

Navy blue suit, dark socks, black lace-up shoes, white shirt, conservative tie. This is appropriate throughout Chinese Asia... (Singapore is slightly less severe). I'm guessing that Korea might be similar.

Make sure he has name cards, lots of them. Make sure the title reflects the role he will be playing on the visit, so he gets taken seriously. People hand out name cards when they meet on business in Asia.

Laura

I was going to recommend a dark grey suit but otherwise same as what Laura said. Let's see - Men's Wearhouse is where dh buys his suits.

For a week, at least 2 suits in darker colors (navy, black, dark gray) and white shirts. The business card is important as well. If you can find someone to translate it into Korean for you and print it 2-sided with English on one side and Korean on the other, that would be best, but not necessary. Drinking is also considered pretty mandatory for business meals-let me know if you need help on how to not drink without losing face or tips on how to drink less while still drinking. Korean men will drink the best of them under the table. You should give and recieve everything with 2 hands, don't pour your own drinks, someone else should volunteer-if they are your senior, hold your cup with 2 hands. No matter who pours for you, offer to pour for them afterwards, again, if they are your senior, pouring with 2 hands. Turn away from your seniors to drink. I will try to remember to come back to this thread, but if I don't, feel free to PM me

This website is helpful but not 100% complete http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/south-korea-country-profile.html

Thanks all. The business cards should come from his client as hubby has had to remove all of his own (self-employed) data from previous projects he's done for this guy. I suppose it's like a sub-contract job or whatever, but the client is pretending hubby works for him (and for the individual jobs, he does, overall, he does not).

Knowing how to drink without drinking will be essential. Hubby comes from a tee-totaling family and prefers not to drink at all himself. He will rarely have one when the situation warrants, but that's maybe once or twice a year at best.

I did warn him that drinks would be expected when we talked about it this morning. His tolerance level sure won't compete for drinking anyone under the table - nor will he want to.

Getting a dark gray and dark blue suit should work. He already has black lace up shoes and a few ties from the old days (conservative).

I'll head off to the website now...

Knowing how to drink without drinking will be essential. Hubby comes from a tee-totaling family and prefers not to drink at all himself. He will rarely have one when the situation warrants, but that's maybe once or twice a year at best.

I did warn him that drinks would be expected when we talked about it this morning. His tolerance level sure won't compete for drinking anyone under the table - nor will he want to.

In this case it is probably best for him to lie and say he is allergic to alcohol or can't drink because of religious beliefs or a medication he is on. The only drawback to that tactic is that you can never drink within that group, but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for him. If he doesn't want to lie, he can say that he doesn't tolerate hard alcohol well (true if you never drink) and ask for a beer instead and then nurse it, only taking small sips when everyone toasts and trying not to let it get below half full for as long as possible (once your drink gets to be about 1/3 full people want to refill it. Also important to know is that unless his client is lleaving, the time to leave a gathering is when moving from one venue to another-if he doesn't want to drink anymore, he should try to leave when the group moves to another location (and definitely leave if the women and other 'foreigners' leave.)

In this case it is probably best for him to lie and say he is allergic to alcohol or can't drink because of religious beliefs or a medication he is on. The only drawback to that tactic is that you can never drink within that group, but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for him. If he doesn't want to lie, he can say that he doesn't tolerate hard alcohol well (true if you never drink) and ask for a beer instead and then nurse it, only taking small sips when everyone toasts and trying not to let it get below half full for as long as possible (once your drink gets to be about 1/3 full people want to refill it. Also important to know is that unless his client is lleaving, the time to leave a gathering is when moving from one venue to another-if he doesn't want to drink anymore, he should try to leave when the group moves to another location (and definitely leave if the women and other 'foreigners' leave.)

Having lived in South Korea and being married to a South Korean man, I can tell you this is a fine line to walk in Korea. He most definitely will be taken out for drinks and it would be impolite for him to refuse at least one drink. After that, he could probably decline politely without appearing rude. It is important that he pour for the other businessmen first using two hands (or better yet one hand with the other on his elbow or wrist), NOT one handed. He needs to allow them to do the same for him. Food will be served with the drinks and will be communal style (food in center with everyone eating from same side dishes with their own rice), and again, it would be rude for him not to eat at least a little. In South Korea "saving face" is really important, so have him read a bit about business and cultural etiquette first.

As for dress, a conservative suit in a darker color should be fine. I don't think color matters so much. I agree that business cards are good.

I don't know your dh's demeanor, but loud and boisterous would be frowned upon. Manners always, have him bow slightly to his business mates to show respect.

It is a fascinating culture. I hope he has a successful trip!

Thanks again! I don't think eating will be an issue at all. We're both pretty adventurous with food and ok with a multitude of styles. He'll be ok with one drink too, but will likely beg off more than that (per meal). We're not loud and boisterous either (not our style), so that shouldn't be an issue.

He e-mailed his client about the drinking aspect (and asked about business cards) just in case his client wants to revisit having him go along. It'd be better to find that out now rather than after expenses have been paid. As mentioned before, he's done other projects without visiting sites (the internet is a wonderful thing for making the world smaller - even for engineering). It could happen again if necessary.

That website was great - thanks! If he gets to go, it sounds like he'd fit in well - except for the expected drinking. I'm thinking it's been 3 or 4 years since the last time we had something (generally on our anniversary, but we've skipped it the last few years with our personal economy tanking).