Menu

Favorite History curriculum that is NOT Living Books

mommy5

I'm interested in looking through the different curriculum choices for history that is not primarily made of a bunch of different living books. I would like a good history spine and to be able to add in my own books at my own pace but not to have it be necessary - if that makes sense. I would like all the work done for me in that the lesson plans are made up or it is a do the next thing type of curriculum. I'm really starting to research for "next" year (like a year from now) when my 2 middle kids will be in 3rd and 1st. Thanks.

My favorites are SOTW and BJU. If you want world history, I'd go with SOTW with the Activity Guide. It has lots of suggestions for other books, maps to work on, and crafts/projects. You could just read the book, and do those when you want.

If you want an American History focus, I really like BJU's elementary history books and student activity manuals. Each year focuses on a different part of American history (2nd-Colonial times; 3rd-Constitution to Wild West; 4th-19th century; 5th-20th century). There are some fun activities and games in the TMs, so I wouldn't skip getting it.

I'm using SOTW 2 next year and will continue using SOTW for our 4 year cycle, but I plan on getting 4th and 5th texts from BJU to add in more American study.

I've heard Galore Park Junior History is good, and just open and go. Book 1 covers prehistory-the Greek Dark Ages and book 2 covers the Greeks and Romans. SOTW, especially if you use the activity guide, is also good. They recommend books, but nothing is necessary beyond the text.

Here is a way to make your own history curriculum if you don't find a premade one your like (which is what I do).

Choose a spine (or two) for the year. I read through one world history spine for the first half of the year and one American history spine for the second half of the year. Determine how many chapters you have in your spine(s), and calculate how many days of the year you will need to read history. I read history M-F during the school year, so it works out that I read one chapter per day to finish both spines by the end of the year. Each day you do history, you just read the chapter where the bookmark is (no lesson plan needed).

As for activities, I choose three premade lapbooks per year (which I usually get from HOAC). I print out everything ahead of time. Three or four days per week, I have the kids do one activity from their current lapbook. No need for a lesson plan. Just do the next activity in the lapbook.

I also bought Map Trek which is a book of historical maps. There are many free integration guides that go along with popular history spines on the Map Trek website. As we are reading our spine, we look at the maps in Map Trek, and one day per week we will do the map work activities as planned out in the Map Trek Integration Guide.

I also add in fun read alouds that loosely go along with the current time period of our history spine. Either my husband or I read these to the kids at bedtime.

So that is a way to do your own history program using your favorite spines and read alouds. You don't necessarily need a lesson plan as long as you are consistent with reading and doing the activities each week.

Hope you find something you like.

I'm interested in looking through the different curriculum choices for history that is not primarily made of a bunch of different living books. I would like a good history spine and to be able to add in my own books at my own pace but not to have it be necessary - if that makes sense. I would like all the work done for me in that the lesson plans are made up or it is a do the next thing type of curriculum. I'm really starting to research for "next" year (like a year from now) when my 2 middle kids will be in 3rd and 1st. Thanks.

That's exactly how I do Story of the World. I try to get books to supplement, but it's okay if it doesn't happen. We just continue on. The activity guide provides questions to help with narration, activities, book suggestions, and pictures to color.

My SIL does the same with Mystery of History.

This is how we are using A Living History of Our World (ALH). It has been our spine for our American History study. When we are through with the 1st 3 volumes we will switch over to MOH for World History, which we also do the same way.