Menu

LA and Math options/new to HSing

LAinVA

I have been searching curriculum options for my dd who is going into 3rd grade this upcoming year. We are hsing next year do to chemical sensitivities and going to school is just too much exposure. She absolutely loves school so this will be a challenge as far as making her feel like she is not "missing out" by being hs'ed. We live in VA so she does have to take standardized test each year for math and LA.

I have to say, LA is quite overwhelming! There are so many aspects. She loves to read and loves workbooks (she does it for fun!). This is what I have come up with so far:

Spelling: Spelling Power w/activity cd

Reading/Comprehension: Critical Thinking or MCP Comprehension Plus

Cursive: HWOT Cursive

Grammar/vocab/writing: Shurley English or MCT Island

All-in-one: k12 independent ($$$$)

Nothing is concrete. I am totally on the fence with Shurley and MCT. They are so different. Is Shurely too dry? Does MCT cover enough? I know she would love the aspect of MCT but it seems like there is not much there. The K12 looks great, and to have all together is appealing; but it is quite expensive.

For Math I am considering Math in Focus or MM. I like the concept behind each of them. Being my first year, I would feel better with a lot of direction with the teacher guides too. This really is so confusing!

First, others on the board have stated MCT is great for vocab and grammar but light on writing instruction at this age. You might want to explore additional options unless you plan on encouraging writing across the curriculum. For math, we use Singapore, but I use Math Mammoth to supplement. Maria's videos on YouTube and her written instructions are very helpful in teaching. Next, I think you should search the boards for what others are doing in second grade. There's a lot of good providers out there and you should find what fits your daughter AND you.

When ds was in second grade, we used:

Math: Singapore with Challenging Word Problems

Writing: Writing With Ease Instructor's text (narration and dication across subjects)

Spelling: Natural Speller

Grammar: Easy Grammar (we added in FLL and GWG for third grade and dropped Easy Grammar)

Reading: Assigned independent reading loosely tied to history with narration required every 2-3 books

History: SOTW and American Revolutionary War study over the summer b/w second and third

Science: Physical Science study with lots of library books and science videos. Occasional "experiments" (making a volcano was a hit), but science was more about reading and learning.

At first, I made the mistake of hitting all the subjects at once and that did not work. After multiple meltdowns, we "deschooled" for a few weeks, where every day, I simply required 30 minutes of reading, a writing activity (oral narration or basic dictation), and a math worksheet (no supplements). Once I'd gotten a handle on the basics, I added new subjects until I felt things were going smoothly.

Finally, there's a well-known tendency to overspend the first year (or subsequent years). I've definitely have been, and sometimes continue to be, guilty of searching for the next big thing. There's no perfect curriculum so pick what you think would suit you and adapt it to your dd's needs.

Nothing is concrete. I am totally on the fence with Shurley and MCT. They are so different. Is Shurely too dry? Does MCT cover enough? I know she would love the aspect of MCT but it seems like there is not much there. The K12 looks great, and to have all together is appealing; but it is quite expensive.

For Math I am considering Math in Focus or MM. I like the concept behind each of them. Being my first year, I would feel better with a lot of direction with the teacher guides too. This really is so confusing!

I can imagine how overwhelming this all must be! There are SOOO many options available to homeschoolers now.

I would suggest instead of Reading Comprehension, that you get something like Writing With Ease at the appropriate level. Narration will cover comprehension. WWE will also cover writing.

I would hold off on MCT and decide whether you want to start it the next year. I like it but don't find it necessary at this point. And I think the less, the better for your first year of homeschooling. You don't want to burn yourself out.

If it were me, I'd skip grammar and vocab, too, for the first year, but you may not be comfortable with that. I just think that one year without formal study of those topics will not hurt anyone. You can talk about vocabulary in the books you read aloud. (And reading aloud together is one thing I'd make sure to do! The most important thing in my opinion! Get a library card and have fun!)

I don't know much about Math in Focus except that it is similar to Singapore. We love Singapore! I think MM would be a great choice, though. It teaches right to the student so no extra teacher's guides to juggle.

You'll be alright. Just take it slowly your first year. Give yourself some grace and time to get used to it all and have fun!

Last year was our first year homeschooling. My kids grades ranged from K-3rd. It was definitely a learning curve and took a while to "deschool" we even had melt downs when subjects weren't taught as expected. I tried to throw a new learning style full force on the children and it was met with aggravation.

What ended up easing me into what works by researching/ordering/teaching one subject at a time. That way we gradually added upon our work intensity.

Since she will be tested on LA I wouldn't feel comfortable not doing it at all. She also loves to do things like workbooks and such for fun on her free time. I feel like she would be bored to death not doing much of anything. She actually tells me she loves school because she likes learning new things.

I guess I'll just keep searching.:001_smile:

Since she will be tested on LA I wouldn't feel comfortable not doing it at all. She also loves to do things like workbooks and such for fun on her free time. I feel like she would be bored to death not doing much of anything. She actually tells me she loves school because she likes learning new things.

I don't think anyone would suggest no LA for your 3rd grader but more so, approach it calmly and not rush into a decision. It is one of those topics that can be half way completed and not harm the student. You can pick vocabulary from your history/science studies. Ask grammar questions about particular sentences within your readings, etc. Once you do decide on what LA program you choose to go with; add it into your routine.

We love love love MCT and I find it easy to start especially since you start with just the Grammar Island book, then gradually add on to it.

Math wise, there are SO many options out there. I am in the process of figuring out one that works for my youngest girls. We love TT3 for my boys and I plan to follow foward with it with them.

I agree with the PP. I would focus primarily on 3R's and "fold in" other subjects as you guys find your routine/flow. Then you can add in science, history, art, music, etc.

You could also look at First Language Lessons for LA. For Grammar, you could look at KISS Grammar. It is a free resource. http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/KISS.htm

You could also look at MEP Math, it is a free program (minus the cost of printing materials) http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm. Another free program is CSMP... http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMPProgram/Primary%20Disk/Start.html

I love the idea of MCT, but haven't yet tried it. We use Galore Park (Junior English 2) and WWE. It's a good combination, as WWE teaches skills that GP doesn't cover, and GP is very good about prepping children for their exams in the UK. The combo is also much cheaper than MCT. This way you could do:

Comprehension/Writing: Writing with Ease

Grammar/Vocab/Writing:Galore Park Junior English 2

Math: Math Mammoth (Singapore is good, but too many books to juggle for me)

K12 is good, but I hear it's a lot of busy work. If she wants a challenge, you might consider Calvert's world history course - it's made for 4th grade, but has a workbook and activities, to kind of ease her into homeschooling, or Galore Park's Junior History. For science, try Mr. Q life science. It's made for ages 6-9 and includes a fair amount of workbook-type stuff. Also, I recommend lots of good books for reading, you can find different lists like Ambleside Online or Sonlight, or read the books used each week in WWE.

I have been searching curriculum options for my dd who is going into 3rd grade this upcoming year. We are hsing next year do to chemical sensitivities and going to school is just too much exposure. She absolutely loves school so this will be a challenge as far as making her feel like she is not "missing out" by being hs'ed. We live in VA so she does have to take standardized test each year for math and LA.

I have to say, LA is quite overwhelming! There are so many aspects. She loves to read and loves workbooks (she does it for fun!). This is what I have come up with so far:

Here are some other options....

Writing- Winning with Writing is workbook but very quick and easy to get done. Teaches basics and is incremental.

Grammar- MCT is great if somewhat conceptual. We do Spectrum Grammar, but you could also try Growing with Grammar or any of the others as a more concrete addition.

Math- We use Math Mammoth which is fine for my Mathy son... does not work for my non mathy daughter. We're going to give Beast Academy a try when it comes out next week. Check out the website and FB page for examples.

A slightly different suggestion...

Take a simple spiral notebook (or theme book) and create a writing journal. Each day have her write for about 15 minutes. Instead of wordy prompts select pictures from the newspaper or magazines.

Example: Photo of a box of crayons: Ask her to describe what she could do other than draw a picture with a box of crayons.

or

Example: Photo of a woman shopping: What mood do you think this woman is in and why?

or

Example: Photo of man walking on beach with dog: Where do you think they might try to go.

Her one guide as she writes is to try to use vivid and concrete words like she would if she tried to describe the picture to someone over the phone (someone who can't see it).

One great thing about starting this way is you will have a chance to see what she might be struggling with grammar, spelling, organization wise to know what sorts of programs to select. You can cut articles from childrens magazines and staple them in for her to read and answer questions related to the content and context clues. Short children's poems also work. The more varied, the more information you will gather and she will have practice writing, while you have a chance to see where she may need work. I wouldn't "grade" it.

I'm not sure if this was directed toward my post or not, but in case it was I wanted to clarify...

Yes, you definitely should do LA. There are many, many aspects to LA, though. And I don't know of one curriculum (worth purchasing IMO) that covers them all. Phonics. Spelling. Reading Comprehension. Grammar. Writing/Composition (which could take up its own paragraph of subtopics). Vocabulary. Poetry. Literature. Literary Analysis.

What I was trying to say is that, since this is a new and huge endeavor, it would be wise to be realistic about what you can handle the first year into it. You will learn about yourself and your daughter and be able to make more specific choices for the following year. If you don't do vocabulary or grammar you will most certainly NOT be left "bored to death not doing much of anything." There's the whole world to explore!

You will have time to pursue your daughter's interests! And your own, too, which will inspire her to learn as well. Read lots of books. Go visit lots of places. Relax and have lots of deep discussions together. That's the stuff that makes homeschooling distinctive and appealing, IMO. It doesn't need to look like public school.

Mainly my point is to give yourself the grace to not have to "do it all" this first year. Don't stress. Maybe doing "everything" won't stress you out, but IF IT DOES at some point, don't be afraid to let some things go for the time being and come back to them at another time. Enjoy the journey.

A slightly different suggestion...

Take a simple spiral notebook (or theme book) and create a writing journal. Each day have her write for about 15 minutes. Instead of wordy prompts select pictures from the newspaper or magazines.

Example: Photo of a box of crayons: Ask her to describe what she could do other than draw a picture with a box of crayons.

or

Example: Photo of a woman shopping: What mood do you think this woman is in and why?

or

Example: Photo of man walking on beach with dog: Where do you think they might try to go.

Her one guide as she writes is to try to use vivid and concrete words like she would if she tried to describe the picture to someone over the phone (someone who can't see it).

One great thing about starting this way is you will have a chance to see what she might be struggling with grammar, spelling, organization wise to know what sorts of programs to select. You can cut articles from childrens magazines and staple them in for her to read and answer questions related to the content and context clues. Short children's poems also work. The more varied, the more information you will gather and she will have practice writing, while you have a chance to see where she may need work. I wouldn't "grade" it.

This would be right up her alley. She has such a great imagination and this would be a great way for her to use it. She would enjoy it and I can learn from it also. Thank you!

I'm not sure if this was directed toward my post or not, but in case it was I wanted to clarify...

Yes, you definitely should do LA. There are many, many aspects to LA, though. And I don't know of one curriculum (worth purchasing IMO) that covers them all. Phonics. Spelling. Reading Comprehension. Grammar. Writing/Composition (which could take up its own paragraph of subtopics). Vocabulary. Poetry. Literature. Literary Analysis.

What I was trying to say is that, since this is a new and huge endeavor, it would be wise to be realistic about what you can handle the first year into it. You will learn about yourself and your daughter and be able to make more specific choices for the following year. If you don't do vocabulary or grammar you will most certainly NOT be left "bored to death not doing much of anything." There's the whole world to explore!

You will have time to pursue your daughter's interests! And your own, too, which will inspire her to learn as well. Read lots of books. Go visit lots of places. Relax and have lots of deep discussions together. That's the stuff that makes homeschooling distinctive and appealing, IMO. It doesn't need to look like public school.

Mainly my point is to give yourself the grace to not have to "do it all" this first year. Don't stress. Maybe doing "everything" won't stress you out, but IF IT DOES at some point, don't be afraid to let some things go for the time being and come back to them at another time. Enjoy the journey.

Oh, we are planning on having lots of down time going to parks, museums etc. I do have to be careful and make it fun and enjoyable since she does love school so much. I was going to concentrate on LA and math and then add in science, history, music etc. later. I really think she can handle all the aspects of LA in the beginning. She's a bit different than a lot of kids. Many mornings she wakes up at 5 or so and finishes reading a chapter book or does several workbook pages in math before it is even time to start getting ready for school! We have to "play school" during the summer. I kind of worry about not having enough for her! I guess it's a good position to be in though.

Oh, we are planning on having lots of down time going to parks, museums etc. I do have to be careful and make it fun and enjoyable since she does love school so much. I was going to concentrate on LA and math and then add in science, history, music etc. later. I really think she can handle all the aspects of LA in the beginning. She's a bit different than a lot of kids. Many mornings she wakes up at 5 or so and finishes reading a chapter book or does several workbook pages in math before it is even time to start getting ready for school! We have to "play school" during the summer. I kind of worry about not having enough for her! I guess it's a good position to be in though.

Yes, that's a good problem to have! Since that's the case, I'd get MCT (if money wasn't an issue) and try using it but feel free to drop it for a year if it got to be too much. MCT will cover grammar, vocabulary, poetry, and a little bit of writing.

Yes, that's a good problem to have! Since that's the case, I'd get MCT (if money wasn't an issue) and try using it but feel free to drop it for a year if it got to be too much. MCT will cover grammar, vocabulary, poetry, and a little bit of writing.

Just by looking at MCT samples it seems like it would be a good fit for her. I do have to consider the $$ though. I notice you use the MCT Island which is the one I would choose for dd. Do you like the layout and think it "worth it" so to speak? I am considering WWE also. Thanks for you help!

Just by looking at MCT samples it seems like it would be a good fit for her. I do have to consider the $$ though. I notice you use the MCT Island which is the one I would choose for dd. Do you like the layout and think it "worth it" so to speak? I am considering WWE also. Thanks for you help!

Hmmmm.... Well, most people seem to be "in love" with MCT and I'm just "in like" with it. This may be partly (or maybe mostly) because I don't think grammar is as important as the author of the books or the majority of the people on this forum think it is. I do want my kids to learn grammar, but I'm not convinced it needs to be every single year or even that my kids wouldn't be able to write without grammar instruction.

So, with that said, my response to this may be different from the majority here so you might want to start another thread about it. But here is my opinion and experience...

We just started in December, so we are not even halfway through the program yet. We finished Grammar Island and are about 1/4 through Sentence Island. We are also 1/4 through Music of the Hemispheres and have started on Practice Island. I didn't get the vocab book because I kept reading that it was the weakest book in the series and that the later vocab books were so much better.

It is definitely creatively done. It's not a workbook program like every other one out there. I like that it is in story form. The story is not great literature, though. It reminds me of Life of Fred, which I have mixed feelings about, too.

I bought it specifically for my 8yo, but my 6yo is tagging along. Actually, my 6yo seems to like it better than my 8yo. She takes Grammar Island and Sentence Island into bed with her at night to read before lights out! :lol: My 8yo definitely gets the concepts quicker. She's always seemed gifted in LA areas, though, so that doesn't surprise me. Her sister is more of a mathy/artistic kid.

For some reason they always get kind of wild when we read MCT books. I'm not sure why. You might not have that problem since you'll only be using it with one child.

The layout is... OK. I kind of like that they don't have much on a page, but wish the words were smaller with more margin room instead of the words being so big and filling up the page. They also need to hire a better graphic designer. There are just little things that bug me, sometimes. I think there might have been pixelated pictures and some things overlapping that didn't look right in some of the books. My husband is a graphic design artist, though, so I'm sure I notice these things more than the average person. I wouldn't not buy the curriculum just because of those things, but it would help if they were improved.

It is sometimes hard to know where to stop in the book. Sentence Island is just one long story and there aren't many natural stopping points. It is most definitely the opposite of workbooky!

I like the 4 part sentence analysis. It helped me understand some things better than learning diagramming in middle school did. I'm not too hot on the sentences so far in Practice Island because they all seem to be about fish. I understand that is the theme of the Island series. It's just not my favorite theme in the world, so it gets kind of redundantly repetitive....

As far as whether I think it is "worth it" - well, if I didn't have the money for it I still think my girls would be getting a complete education without it. It is nice to have, though, especially since I felt like my 8yo could use more LA so it has provided that. But, again, remember I'm not big on grammar and Grammar Island, Sentence Island, and Practice Island are all about grammar. The poetry book is very advanced - again, nice to have but not necessary IMO at this point.

If you just want enough grammar to cover standardized tests than a workbook curriculum would suffice, but it certainly wouldn't be as fun.

WWE covers totally different things than MCT. IMO, what WWE covers is more important than what MCT covers for a 3rd grader.

Keeping it simple, academically sound, and inexpensive:

Spelling: Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff Publishers)

Grammar, Composition, some other stuff: Beginning Wisely (R&S)

Penmanship: Penmanship for Christian Writing (R&S)

Reading: Good trade books, plus occasional book reports with the Love to Learn Place's book report forms.

There you go. :)

MCT is initially a largish investment, but we have been careful with the books and have sold them on EBay for well over half of what we paid for them. We love it. There are some great writing ideas in it, but I need more handholding right now so I did add WWE to the program halfway through 3rd grade and wish I had done so earlier. WWE also covers the comprehension portion.

Edited by acrosier