Menu

Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire vs Nook Color vs iPad

Rush

Can I add another choice? Friends of ours got these for their girls this past Christmas. The girls love it and so do the parents. I saw it 'in action' at a scout meeting last month with the 3yo and it was indestructible! The parents like it because of the parental controls.

I don't have any personal experience with it but after seeing it I've added it to my list of possibilities for my kids. Our budget is tight not so it will have to wait. I'd love to see what others are recommending for when the time comes. :bigear:

Can I add another choice? Friends of ours got these for their girls this past Christmas. The girls love it and so do the parents. I saw it 'in action' at a scout meeting last month with the 3yo and it was indestructible! The parents like it because of the parental controls.

I don't have any personal experience with it but after seeing it I've added it to my list of possibilities for my kids. Our budget is tight not so it will have to wait. I'd love to see what others are recommending for when the time comes. :bigear:

If is really designed for younger kids, or can this be enjoyed by upper elementary kids, too?

Honestly I wouldn't get an e-reader for a 3.5yo. I'd let him enjoy real books with all their fantastic pictures for several more years.

I assume she's concerned about him having to read small fonts in real books and wants a color reader so he'll still be able to enjoy the pictures. With the e-readers/tablets, you can adjust the font size much bigger, which would be good for a 3.5 year old's eyes. Of course, the downside is that they are backlit, which isn't good for the eyes.

To the OP... We have a Kindle Fire and a Toshiba Thrive. I think picture books are easier to do on the Thrive because you can display both pages and have them still be a nice size. The Thrive is a 10" tablet like an iPad, but it's Android OS. My dad got me mine, and he included a nice case that lets you prop the tablet in portrait or landscape mode, and you can prop it at multiple angles. The case is also pretty sturdy (weighs as much as much as the tablet!). My kids do play with my Thrive and so far haven't destroyed it. :D I keep control of it, but they are allowed to use it, and I can set it up for them if I need to. The kids also get to play with the Fire sometimes (it's DH's), and the Fire is more portable. They haven't read books on the Fire though. It'd work fine, but you'd probably want to display one page at a time instead of a 2-page spread.

I have a nook color. I love it! You can download music, watch shows, read the books, etc. It's a cheaper alternative than the fire or nook tablet. B&N came out with a software upgrade to make the color do the same things as the tablets. :D

Plus with the nook you have access to B&N and there are always 1000s of free books! I have only paid for 4 of my 125 books on there. My kids LOVE the interactive book apps. Also, there are tons of educational apps on the nook.

I let me 4 year old play with the nook (he has a learn to read app on there) and it's held up pretty well.

Good luck.

We love the Kindle Fire! Our 9 year old got one for Christmas and has already used it to read several books for her accelerated reader program at school. We were so impressed that Dh and I got another one to share. I love being able to get free books, keep up with email, use PDF's and play games like Scrabble on the Fire.

If is really designed for younger kids, or can this be enjoyed by upper elementary kids, too?

I don't know for sure but I think it would work for an older child. The rubber protective cover can be removed for kids who might think it was baby-ish. However, I'm not sure if it would fit in another type of cover. More research needed.

Also, according to the dad I spoke with about it, it has a mommy-mode so you can go in and set the level of parental control. This is the feature that intrigued me the most! Again, more research needed.

My biggest question is what apps are available for it. It is an android tablet so I assume you can download any android app to it. Ditto again on the research.

I know I'm not help on the details. I just thought I would throw it out there as an option because I know it will be on my list to check out when the time comes for us to buy. -lu