Menu

What does it mean when the doctor taps your knee to check your reflexes...

And nothing happens? My 4yods went to the pediatrician this morning, and the doctor couldn't get a response, even though he tried several times. :( The pediatrician is already sending him to the pediatric neurologist for something else, so he would be looking at that as well.

Since the pediatrician didn't seem super concerned about it, I'm trying not to worry. Save me from a google nightmare, Dr. Hive, and tell me what you know.

As a kid I remember "fake kicking" in response. My doc must have rarely hit the correct spot because when I was in PT school, my reflexes were a bit on the "hyper" side of the normal continuum.

Unless you have other concerns I wouldn't worry. There is a normal continuum that is pretty variable, and that's assuming he was even striking the spot correctly.

eta: I missed that he was already being sent to a neurologist.

This always happened to me as a kid also. It was not indicative of a problem, as far as I know (and you would think it would have shown up by now--a few years later!). Naturally, I always assumed it was the doctor's fault.

One of my daughters has a pronounced reflex in one leg and barely any response in the other. I have no idea why, but she's quite healthy and a gifted athlete. I have wondered what it means also, so I will be interested in any responses. Due to my own experience, I have never worried about it much, but even I, who tends to play fast and loose with my family's medical care, would worry more if there were other causes for concern.

Terri