Menu

History Odyessy vs Beautiful Feet

The recent planning threads have inspired me to do a little planning of my own. My 11 yr old wants to study the Middle Ages next year. I want to use a literature based curriculum but I need something already laid out that doesn't require a lot of time to implement. I have looked at samples of both History Odyssey and Beautiful Feet. I am leaning towards History Odyssey but would love to get some input if you have used either of these programs.

I have not used HO, but I have used many of the BF guides. If you want something all laid out for you, you may do better with HO. Beautiful feet does not give daily lessons. It is more like 2 lessons a week and you break them up as you see fit for your child. Also, BF assumes you are reading the books aloud....even at the High School Level. It is CM based....thus, much of it is done orally...and narrations are expected.

If I remember correctly, it has been a while, the Middle Ages guide does give essay prompts and some comprehensiuon questions along with extra reading books for students to read on their own with no questions...and even movie suggestions. That guide took us 3 semesters.

Faithe

I have not used HO, but I have used many of the BF guides. If you want something all laid out for you, you may do better with HO. Beautiful feet does not give daily lessons. It is more like 2 lessons a week and you break them up as you see fit for your child. Also, BF assumes you are reading the books aloud....even at the High School Level. It is CM based....thus, much of it is done orally...and narrations are expected.

If I remember correctly, it has been a while, the Middle Ages guide does give essay prompts and some comprehensiuon questions along with extra reading books for students to read on their own with no questions...and even movie suggestions. That guide took us 3 semesters.

Faithe

This is not entirely true. You do not have to read the books aloud unless you want to. BF is designed to be as independent or involved as you want to be. Also they just updated and revised their guide for middle school medieval history by the week. For the given week it tells what pages of a book you are to read with vocabulary words, comprehension, and discussion questions. It will also include notes for background information, some type of writing assignment, and an ongoing geography map that you add on to every week. It also has some type of hands on project and list of books for further reading. I have added Netflix documentaries and movies to coincide with the topic at hand and reading.

I am using this with a 10th grader and 7th grader and they are loving it! To make it high school level for the 10th grader I have upped the ante on the writing, projects, and geography. I have also included more reading and research.

The recent planning threads have inspired me to do a little planning of my own. My 11 yr old wants to study the Middle Ages next year. I want to use a literature based curriculum but I need something already laid out that doesn't require a lot of time to implement. I have looked at samples of both History Odyssey and Beautiful Feet. I am leaning towards History Odyssey but would love to get some input if you have used either of these programs.

Moominmamma (12) is using History Odyssey. For the most part, she enjoys it - she likes the reading element, the writing not so much - and most of all, it's super easy for me. It's all laid out and ready to go. Maps are included. Some original sources are included. All you need to get in addition to the program are the handful of books that the kid needs to read, and all you need to do is pull out the next lesson, maybe run through it with them to be sure they understand what they're doing, and let them get on with it.

Can you tell I'm happy with it?! :D

My dd12 is using the HO middle ages level 2 also. She really likes it and wants to continue with it next year for early modern. I'm not crazy about the spine, but she's fine with it. She's really proud of the work she's done this year. I LOVE how it's written to the student.

My dd12 is using the HO middle ages level 2 also. She really likes it and wants to continue with it next year for early modern. I'm not crazy about the spine, but she's fine with it. She's really proud of the work she's done this year. I LOVE how it's written to the student.

:iagree: My dd10 is using HO Ancients level 2. Kingfisher would not be my first choice for one of the spines, but I do see some benefits to using it. The program is great for making the shift to independent work. We do add extra books, but overall the program is working well. We plan to continue with HO Middle Ages level 2 next year.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

We've used all of the HO level 1's and will be using Ancients level 2 next year. We've really liked them. The maps are good and for the level 2's there are paragraphs that they write in their history notebooks and fill in the info. That makes it easier for me so I don't have to come up with something.

I will be changing the spine for level 2 from The Story of Mankind to Human Odyssey 1. It will mean more work for me by matching up the chapters, but they are labeled fairly well so hopefully it won't be too bad.