Menu

Broken Arm Temporary Cast??

Hi There :)

My 8 yr old son broke his arm last night, and it was put in a splint at the ER. It's a reverse colles fracture (break). Wondering if anyone has had a temporary cast or something more than a splint.

(He's suppose to leave for Disneyland tomorrow with his dad/my husband.) It's not something we can reschedule, as my husband is a chaperone. :(

Hi There :)

My 8 yr old son broke his arm last night, and it was put in a splint at the ER. It's a reverse colles fracture (break). Wondering if anyone has had a temporary cast or something more than a splint.

(He's suppose to leave for Disneyland tomorrow with his dad/my husband.) It's not something we can reschedule, as my husband is a chaperone. :(

Didn't the ER tell you to contact an orthopedic surgeon? That's what has always happened to us. (Sadly, I have lots of experience.) ER splints and stabilizes, ortho casts.

A permanent cast comes about a week later, after the swelling goes down.

I can't imagine going to Disney the day after a break. I always needed pain meds, ice packs, and rest after I broke something...(all too common in our house.)

Contact an ortho doc to get an appointment.

Yes, I get to call in an hour, but they're closed until 8am :) Yes we have a splint and they said that the cast will be done in about a week. I can't imagine him walking around Disneyland in a splint. My husband has talked about this trip for a year with him... and will probably go either way, as my step-daughter is going. We had a coast trip planned, but can just cancel it :( (Trip with my mom, daughter and me....) Sadly, I don't know if we can plan on a girls coast trip again.... as it takes a long time to get us all together. (and my mom has cancer :() Weird that breaks and things seem to happen when trips are planned... (And we hardly ever plan vacations...)

Did you talk to the ER about the trip? I would definitely mention it to the ortho and see what he or she says. See if there is a way to make it safe for your son to go.

They do have removable casts. My son had one last summer. You can adjust the tightness, and it comes off completely so you can dry it off if it gets wet. Ours locked, so I could remove it but he couldn't. :D In our case, that was the cast they used half-way through the healing process. I don't know if it would work for your son's break and if it going to Disney would be good for his arm at this stage. (Well, going would be fine. It's the rides I wonder about.)

Good luck!

Both times ds8 broke bones he was put into a proper cast within 24 hours. His leg was as soon as they finished ruling out head/neck/bakc and hip injuries they casted him from toes to groin and sent us on our way. His arm he had tied to his body overnight and the next am the ortho surgeon did a closed reduction in the OR (set the bones witout cutting skin) and he was casted right away. We went back after a few days for the leg to be recasted after some swelling went down. His leg was still swoolen for months after though. His arm was xrayed and recasted every 2 weeks, it kept the cast fitting right as the swelling went down.

Air casts are great half way through, but the day after a break I would be hestitant to allowhim to go to disney. He will not be able to really go on any rides, will be uncomfortable, in pain etc. Does not sound like a good vacation.

Talk to the ortho and see but I suspect your dh will be chaperoning without your ds.

A permanent cast comes about a week later, after the swelling goes down.

I can't imagine going to Disney the day after a break. I always needed pain meds, ice packs, and rest after I broke something...(all too common in our house.)

Contact an ortho doc to get an appointment.

:iagree:

:grouphug:

Bummer!

My daughter had some sort of hybrid cast. It was hard, and formed to her wrist, but it was waterproof and had vent holes. It also had this dial mechanism so you could remove it for bathing, then put it back on and twist until firm enough. She got it just before a two week summer camp and was able to participate in most of the adventures. Hs was just a wrist fracture, but this cast was a godsend. We got it at a sports medicine place.

This happened to my son a couple days before we were to leave for Disney too! The doctors put him in a splint for a day and then put him in a temporary cast for our trip. He got a third cast put on when he got home (and the swelling was down).

Ds did fine at Disney. He took the pain meds and all was well.

:grouphug: I hope you can work something out and he can still go!

My daughter had some sort of hybrid cast. It was hard, and formed to her wrist, but it was waterproof and had vent holes. It also had this dial mechanism so you could remove it for bathing, then put it back on and twist until firm enough. She got it just before a two week summer camp and was able to participate in most of the adventures. Hs was just a wrist fracture, but this cast was a godsend. We got it at a sports medicine place.

This sounds like my son's cast. You can see them here.

This sounds like my son's cast. You can see them here.

Thanks SOOO much. We called the Orthopedic place in Oregon and already have a 3pm appt. SOOOOO happy!! So much quicker than the local spot. (They still haven't called back) And.... I made sure they do these braces. So..... YAY!!! Report on how it goes soon :)