Menu

Phonics -- b and d confusion

Sahamamama

My beginning reader often confuses "b" and "d." If I tell her, "That's a b," then she knows the sound, but we can't seem to get through to her recognizing the letters on her own all the time.

I've tried the bed thing. And the thumbs thing. Any other ideas, that might actually work? :) Thanks!

My beginning reader often confuses "b" and "d." If I tell her, "That's a b," then she knows the sound, but we can't seem to get through to her recognizing the letters on her own all the time.

I've tried the bed thing. And the thumbs thing. Any other ideas, that might actually work? :) Thanks!

This is how WRTR teaches b and d:

"b" is a tall letter with a short part. When we write it, it begins with a line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). When we say /b/, our lips make a line.

"d" is a short letter with a tall part. When we write it, it begins with a circle (the short part), and ends with a line (the tall part). When we say /d/, our lips make a circle.

You could have your dd practice writing, and when she writes b or d, have her describe them and say the sounds. She shouldn't write b and d at the same time, KwIM? Then, when she reads, go through the analysis with her...does the letter begin with a line or a circle? /b/ or /d/?

This is how WRTR teaches b and d:

"b" is a tall letter with a short part. When we write it, it begins with a line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). When we say /b/, our lips make a line.

"d" is a short letter with a tall part. When we write it, it begins with a circle (the short part), and ends with a line (the tall part). When we say /d/, our lips make a circle.

You could have your dd practice writing, and when she writes b or d, have her describe them and say the sounds. She shouldn't write b and d at the same time, KwIM? Then, when she reads, go through the analysis with her...does the letter begin with a line or a circle? /b/ or /d/?

I've been told the same thing. My daughter did the same thing. More often when writing. Still did it often last year in first grade. She just turned 8 and in 2nd grade this year and hasn't had a problem with it at all this year. In her case I think it was developmental.

We got our mirror out today, and my daughter, The Vain One, ever interested in the beauty of her own cute face, was FASCINATED by seeing her lips make lines and circles. What a trip. This is a VERY funny, egocentric, adorable three-year old. I'm not sure whether or not she paid any attention to the b's and d's and buh's and duh's coming from Mommy (me), but hey, it was fun to watch her admiring her little self.

Thanks so much for the tip. We'll see if it clicks. :)