Menu

Incorporating music appreciation into Amer history

Staceyshoe

We're studying American history this year. I'd like to include just a few major names/genres of music that ds may run across in the future. Is there a blogger who has done something like this? The main thing I need is a list of famous American composers/musicians. I seem to easily find this for classical music but not jazz, etc. Can anyone link a list for me? Chronological would be absolutely lovely.;)

The Study Materials from Professor Carol's http://www.exploringheritage.com/ site. (Her new Exploring America's Musical Heritage DVD set.)

I just created a long list from a college text in my personal library called "Listen" by Joseph Kerman (the last chapter is on American Music), but the forum logged me out and when I tried to log in, I lost the whole list. I may try again another day, because I could use such a list myself. Not today. I'm buzzed from a prescription cough syrup and it took all my concentration to compose the list the first time. Where is the frustrated smiley?

I've made up an American folk song study to go along with our American history for this year. We aren't learning American composers, but we are working our way through some classic American folk songs that I felt my kids should know. It's actually pretty interesting how much American folk songs follow American history!

I'll share it with you if you decide you want to do something like that.

I've made up an American folk song study to go along with our American history for this year. We aren't learning American composers, but we are working our way through some classic American folk songs that I felt my kids should know. It's actually pretty interesting how much American folk songs follow American history!

I'll share it with you if you decide you want to do something like that.

Oh, I never even thought about folk songs! I'll send you a PM with my email address. Thanks for sharing!!:)

Off now to check the wonderful resources you all shared!!;)