Menu

Trigonometry - is this a one-semester course?

I was wondering this because Trig. always seems to be paired with something else. When I took it in high school, the course was called "Trig./Analytic Geometry." I've also seen it paired with pre-calculus, and with Algebra 2, I think.

Does it matter? :confused:

I'm trying to lay out my ds13's plan for math, and may be picking and choosing from different publishers, so any advice you can give will be great. (My ds is using Jacobs Elem. Algebra right now, and will finish this spring.)

Thanks,

Trig was part of Algebra II. We spent a bit less than a semester on it. My son is using the same text that I used (Dolciani) for his Algebra II/Trig class.

Some Algebra II texts have no trig at all, leaving this material to Precalculus. Most students are introduced to basic trig in their geometry course but it is an insufficient amount for anyone who is plodding on in the direction of engineering mathematics, i.e. the traditional Calculus sequence.

What books are you considering using after Jacobs?

What we are doing here is using Foerster's Precalculus with Trig. It has a schedule in the Instructor's guide for using it as a 1 semester trig course. Then we plan to go directly to Calculus. We already covered the College Algebra/precalculus topics thoroughly last year in the second half of our Al II course. I had a brief email correspondence with Foerster a couple years ago and he seemed to think that if a student had done very well in a tough AL II course and had done really well in the trig portion of his text that they would be ready to jump into his calculus course. So that is our plan.

Hope this helps a little.

Occasionally you see it at the end of an Algebra 2 text--most of these texts are 3 semester's worth of information.

Currently the trend is for Trig to be half of a Pre-Calc course. The other half is College Algebra (3). On their own, each half is a one-semester credit--highschool and college. Some colleges will offer a one-semester Pre-Calc course--this is usually for students who want to review it before going on to Calc--or for math-gifted students.

Analytical Geometry is nearly a thing of the past. Parts of it have been incorporated into the Algebras--other parts are nearly forgotten...

I remember my Analytical Geometry instructor in college using 6 double-decker chalkboards to work out ONE problem! For those who do not know what this course is about it is basically a course that discusses the proofs of Geometrical figures/formulas--mainly circles, ellipse, hyperbola...

My teen used Jacobs for Geometry and Lial for Algebra 2. She then placed into College Algebra (Algebra 3) at the local community college which was a one quarter course. She's now taking Trigonometry which is another one quarter class. I equate the two classes combined as Pre-Calculus.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm planning on:

9th - Jacobs Geometry

10th/11th - Foerster's Alg. II & Trig. (which I didn't know existed until today),

12th - Calculus (don't know which book to use)

I emailed the Chalkdust guy, Dana Mosely ? and he thought a student would have no problem going from Foerster's Algebra and Trig to his Calculus. Your schedule is pretty much like ours, but we'll have a year and a half for Calc. Don't know what book we'll use yet either.