Menu

Anyone use only WWE to teach writing?

mystika1

I'm only using WWE for the most part. I will probably add in a couple things for fun (MCT Island next year, and probably some Killgallon), but I won't be adding any other "full writing programs". I plan to use WWS in 5th grade, and I really look forward to it! This writing philosophy fits my son perfectly, and whenever I look at other programs, there are things I just can't stand about them enough that I wouldn't want to use them.

I only use WWE. I really believe that it works. I have seen my son develop in his ability to summarize, articulate and put down in words what he is thinking. These skills absolutely are transferring to situations in which he has to write across the curriculum. He can take dictation like a whiz. I will continue with WWS.

I think when you start with WWE, you have to trust the process. I have faith in SWB's experience and credentials. Furthermore I taught writing (in my pre-kid life) to college-age students. This system makes so much sense. The struggle in teaching writing is not for creativity, but for clear communication. I don't care if my kid is a world-class novelist, but I want him to be able to communicate effectively. If he wins the Nobel Prize for literature, all the better, but first things must come first.

I only use WWE. My elder son has now moved on to WWS and is doing great.

I do have the instructor book and all three of the writing lectures by SWB. I do other writing across the curriculum but always staying with SWB's writing guidelines.

So, we do more writing than just WWE/WWS but it follows the same pattern.

I only used WWE and am about to start WWS w/ DD. We're also reading through Sentence Island in anticipation of starting MCT Towns when it arrives. We're doing some of the SI exercises for fun, but I don't consider that "doing another writing program". I also flirt with the idea of using Kilgallon, but the truth is, WWE/WWS is an excellent writing program, and I do believe that it is thorough & complete and will get the job done. I'm trying to rein in the "grass is greener" syndrome I often fall into when I visit the boards . . .

My 6 year old finished WWE 1 and has now started WWE 2. SWB method of writing works well for my daughter. I was hesitant at first, but WWE is all we need. I will be implementing SWB method of narrations and dictation into our first grade Science and history in fall. I already have my daughter doing some narrations and dictation from some of her chapter books she is reading.

I've just started to implement some WWE (I just have the text) into my 9 year old's day. We've been using Writing Strands and my plan as of right now is to figure out where he fits in this over the spring and summer and then possibly use WWE 3/4 and Writing Strands 4 next year. Then I may just move him on into WWS.

I'm not completely sure if I'll just use the texts or go ahead and get the workbooks at some point. So even though I'm staying with WS as well---I think I'm trying to move into getting our feet wet with the WWE program. I'm having doubts about it, but need to just *try it*. I'm thinking this combo may work for us. (Is there a finger crossed smilie?)

We've used WWE 1, 2, and are currently making our way through 3 (workbooks only). I plan to stay the course and only use WWE/WWS. As a previous poster mentioned (Hedgehogs4), it took a step of faith to trust the process, not unlike the one I took when we started SWR, but the results produced thus far are outweighing any doubts I've had. It's certainly working for us.

Edited by CMama