Menu

Daily Warm-ups for Pre-Algebra? Need recs

Halcyon

What are "warm-ups" and why do you need them? :confused:

Bite-size inquiries that get the mind working in the morning before you tackle the really big assignments. (In my experience, it helps if the warm-ups are kind up fun to get the excitement up.) Similar to how you should do stretches to warm up your muscles before you exercise. For example, when I was in school, one of my teachers would always start the day with worksheets similar to Critical Thinking products (e.g., Dr. Funster or Word Winks).

What are "warm-ups" and why do you need them? :confused:

For my son who generally doesn't need a ton of review, I think they'll serve as a nice "tickler" to his brain to remember concepts he may has already covered, and jumpstart his thinking.

The last time I taught pre-algebra was in a public school setting. I had a worksheet that I would make and photocopy and give to the kids to use to start their math lesson. Every month or so, I'd change it up a little bit depending on what they were working on or needed help with. It was tied to the "number of the day" so that on the 4th day of the school year, we used number 4 and on the 65th day, we used number 65. You could probably also tie it to the day of the month... Or just use any number.

I can't paste it in here because the formatting goes too weird. But basically, there are 10 questions. At the top it says X=____. (X being the number of the day). Then the same questions are used each day.

So the questions are things like: What is x squared? What is 3(x + 2)? What is the absolute value of X? Reduce this fraction: x/12. What is the square root of x? What is x(10) x(-100), 2x.... etc... Add these fractions X/3 + 4/5. What is the area of a rectangle with the sides x and 6.

Anyway, my point is that you don't need to buy a book of 'warm ups'. It was easy to come up with 10 questions and it was more relevant than using a book from a different publisher who had a different sequence of topics. I found after a month or two they could do the worksheet in their sleep, so I would make another 10 problems. I'm planning on doing something similar with my older daughter in the fall when she starts pre-algebra.