Menu

Home loan interest rates

It varies based on your credit score, the loan to value (how much the home is worth vs what you are financing) among other things but I think the current rates for great credit are a little under 4 percent. If your credit is below 720 you can usually plan for 1 percent increase per 100 points below 720. It will also depend on whether you are paying points up front to buy down the rate.

Hmm, so under 4 is good?

Yup. And historically it's ridiculously low. When we bought our house we got 7% and my mom was impressed at what a great rate we had. When they bought a house in the 70s they had 13%.

Our federal student loans were a floating rate but capped at 8.25%. Those were typically the lowest rates you could get. We're in a pretty amazing times for interest rates.

That said, I'd be sure your loan is fixed and not an ARM.

Phew! Ok, as you can see, I am pretty ignorant about this. :blink: Our rate is fixed, not an ARM. The rate is 3.75. Feeling better and better about this! :D

Sounds great to me. I've heard as low as 3% for 15 year when the owners had lots of equity (40-50%). But for a more typical 30 yr rate, anything close to 4 is AWESOME.