Menu

Questions about Minneapolis

Hi, we are currently living in Canada and there is a strong possibility that we will be moving to Minneapolis in the fall. What is it like to homeschool there? Is there are large homeschooling community? What are the state guidelines for homeschooling? We are going there this weekend for a few days to scout out the area. What areas or communities would be good to check out? We have a large family so some place that would have lots of space. I'm not keen on living in an area where where the houses are close together and the backyard is the size of a postage stamp. We are a Christian family so a good church is a must. It doesn't have to be a large church but it should be a bible believing, spirit filled church.

Thanks.:bigear:

Hi, we are currently living in Canada and there is a strong possibility that we will be moving to Minneapolis in the fall. What is it like to homeschool there? Is there are large homeschooling community? What are the state guidelines for homeschooling? We are going there this weekend for a few days to scout out the area. What areas or communities would be good to check out? We have a large family so some place that would have lots of space. I'm not keen on living in an area where where the houses are close together and the backyard is the size of a postage stamp. We are a Christian family so a good church is a must. It doesn't have to be a large church but it should be a bible believing, spirit filled church.

Thanks.:bigear:

We live in st Paul about 1/2 mile from the minneapolis border. The twin cities is a great place to homeschool both for secular and religious families. If you want land without paying a fortune you'll have to go out of the cities a ways. Every direction has its advantages and disadvantages. Paper work is easy. File once a year and standardized testing is required but filing results of the test is not required. I'm typing on my iPad waiting for a show to start but I'm happy to go into more detail later. :-). There are also diverse variety of churches available in most communities.

I cannot add o the homeschooling part of the discussion, since we used public school during sabbatical, but we lived in St. Paul for four months last year, and it was a beautiful place to live! This die-hard farm girl was completely taken in by city life (yes, our rental home had an outdoor clothesline, vegetable garden, and compost bin, which helped). Both Minneapolis and St. Paul afford a high quality of life. (Actually, the school we enrolled the boys in in St. Paul caused us to choose homeschooling... It was so amazing that we discovered what an incredible education and a positive, respectful environment were supposed to look like. Upon returning home, we realized we could settle for nothing less ever again). FYI the public transit system is also better than in most parts of the US, and they have a good Science Museum for the kids, too.

There is an active homeschooling organization called Mache and if you go to their site, Mache.org, you can find out about most everything you need. All you need to do right now for homeschooling regulations is fill out a form found on their site that says you're homeschooling and have your kids seven and older take a standardized test once per year (no one sees the results but you and you don't have to turn them in).

I live about 40 miles south of the twin cities in a more rural area. My husband commutes up to Bloomington which is not too far from Minneapolis. There are plenty of areas not too far from the twin cities that could be considered rural with larger plots of land available. There are also plenty of spirit filled churches around the Minneapolis area. If you pm me, I could direct you to a few.

Beth

Well, since I just posted about this exact subject in another post, I'm going to be lazy and cut and paste my response, if that's okay. :001_smile:

I don't live in Minneapolis, but having grown up in and spent most of my life in Minnesota, I've been there quite a few times. There's a lot to do- museums and zoos and endless cultural opportunities. Public transportation is great, and our homeschooling laws here are now fairly lax. The hospitals there (and in MN in general, for that matter) are amazing. Our library systems are all awesome.

It would depend on which part of Minneapolis I was planning to move to, though. North Minneapolis has a lot of crime. A LOT. There was a story on the news not too long ago about a three year old there that was killed when a stray bullet from a shooting came in through his window. (Dh says he's heard East Minneapolis is bad too, but I can't verify that.) If your budget is low and you'd have to live in north Minneapolis, go somewhere else. Seriously.