Menu

Anyone start WWS "early"?

I planned to wait until the official beginning of 5th grade (August) to start WWS, as I've read that many 5th graders find it challenging. But now I feel like I'm holding dd back - she has pretty much got summary/narrations a la WWE wired. I'm starting to have her do more summaries of history and science, to learn to summarize other kinds of material, but she is getting bored with summaries. I would like to make sure I'm challenging her, and so I am thinking of starting with WWS now. If it's too much, we can always back off, but I feel like another 4 months of summaries is overkill. Anyone using WWS with an accelerated learner prior to 5th grade?

My best estimate is that DD is capable of working 1-2 grade levels ahead in LA - she has a killer vocabulary, and reads at a 6th or 7th grade level. She writes well, very naturally, and I feel like she is ready to kick this up a notch. What do y'all think? Try WWS, keep going with narrations/summaries of longer and more complex material, or something else?

I would like to make sure I'm challenging her, and so I am thinking of starting with WWS now. If it's too much, we can always back off, but I feel like another 4 months of summaries is overkill. Anyone using WWS with an accelerated learner prior to 5th grade?

Yes. I wrote about it here in this thread I started a month ago. We are taking it slow. Dd8 is on week 4 currently and LOVES it! I posted her little para from today on the WWS thread on the k-8 board.

You can always start WWS and take it slow if needed. WWS is what dd8 will use for the next year or so (along w/ stories on her blog). It feels good to simplify her writing regiment. :)

Beth, thanks for pointing me to that thread - after reading through it, I definitely think we will give this a try! Thanks, all!

The key for me is setting my expectations low. I know it ramps up in difficulty fairly quickly. We will adjust accordingly. Others here are starting early too. It can't hurt.

Her TM helps me to see the big picture. I wish this was around years ago.

Well, we did it! WWS Week 1 day 1 today - and it went great! Dd was a little bit intimidated at first by doing it completely "on her own" but she wrote a great summary and now she feels very confident about moving forward. Thanks for the good advice! :D

My daughter read through that lesson and decided she wants to try Writing Strands first. :lol: I hope it continues to work well for you!