Menu

If you use WWE or WWS via pdf on iPad

KnitWit

...can you please let me know your honest assessment of how that works for you and your kids?

Pros and cons? Frustrations?

We are trying to make some wise decisions for our family.

And if you already know of a thread that deals with this *specifically*, not *can you do it* but *if you do, tell me about it*, then please point me to it. I could not seem to find what I'm looking for.

I guess I'm wondering how realistic it is to move to pdf's on iPad or tablet for several kids. I still have 5 in school. I may also consider doing FLL that way too instead of purchasing more student books.

Thank you in advance! :)

Are you talking about the student doing their writing on the iPad? Or just putting the TM on the iPad and having student write on the latter?

I personally want my kids writing with pencil and paper, so I'd want them to still do that, but certainly the PDF of the TM would be easy enough to use on the iPad (at least for WWE1 and 2 that I've used), with student using a notebook to write in. They can even do their copywork from the iPad. My son has copied sentences from it sometimes.

I'm not using WWE on my tablet now, since I had the hard copies before I got the tablet, but I am using the tablet for other school PDFs, and it works very well for us. The only writing on the tablet we do is KISS grammar, and that's just marking up sentences for analysis (underlining things, putting "DO" above a word, that sort of thing).

Oh, I keep getting FLL and WWE mixed up in my brain. I'm thinking of the *fill in the blanks* type stuff with FLL. I don't own WWE or WWS yet, so I'm guessing there might be some of that as well as the pencil/paper assignments.

It was my understanding that WWE can be done with the student book if we own Susan's "Plan for Teaching Writing" talks.

I use WWE on my iPad, and love it. I do keep the files in Dropbox, in case I need to print something (ie the rhyme scheme worksheet for a poem, or student pages, double sided, for my younger) but or my older, I can read fom the iPad, and he writes on regular notebook paper. It saves a ton of space, it saves a ton of printing, and it is easy o reuse for multiple kids in my family without breaking any laws, and is very portable for travel, local or long distance.

With Dropbox, this works with many PDF curricula...

You can install Dropbox as an app in the iPad, but also as a program on a pc, or on an iPod, etc. check Dropbox.com.

It will automatically sync any files you change to all devices you install on (for editable files) and will keep copies of any files in conflict (say you and someone else edit a file at the same time) until you reconcile the conflict. If you have content you can and wish to share (say, a brag book of little Johnny's essays for Grandma) you can share a specific folder with a particular person without sharing your copyrighted stuff illegally.

I do the same pretty much except I use SugarSync. We just started FLL 3 and dd1 likes to do her work in a composition notebook and just uses the pages for reference. She is asking now if I can put some of the PDFs on her iPod. When the 3 comes out I will be upgrading mine and giving her my old iPad to use. I don't know if it will cut down on the printing but we will try it. DD2 likes having special workbook pages so she will continue as is.

Not the exact files you mention but I do use a lot of TMs in PDF form and I find it so easy and portable. We are using a vintage LA and I just sit next to DD like I would if I had a book in my hands and read whatever I need to and show her whatever she needs to look at. The only problem for me is only having 1 iPad! Will be getting another when iPad 3 is released as I can see DD needing one to look at while I work with DS on the other. We love working from our iPad!

This is our second school year of using an iPad for nearly all of our schooling. I scanned most of our books and they're on the iPad as pdfs, plus other curriculum like WWS that I've purchased.

We've always used GoodReader and have been happy with it. For some subjects like math we use a notebook to do the work, but one of my sons writes directly on the iPad for a lot of things. I have no regrets about making the switch.

If you decide to go this way, I would suspect it might be hard to juggle one iPad among 5 children. We weren't able to afford more than one before, but we'll be getting another this summer because it's become necessary since we use the iPad for so many things.