Menu

HS laws in GA?

I'm in GA and I'll confess, we do not do 4.5 hours of instruction per day. I'm not sitting my children at a table for that long per day to fill the hours. We do have to submit attendance reports but they are nothign more than an X in a box. No times are written in. No curriculum is mentioned. Seriously, just a calendar with boxes and you X the ones for the days you've done work.

You have to submit an Intent to Homeschool form by Sept 1st each year, and you're supposed to do standardized testing at the end of 3rd, 6th, and 9th grades. But those scores are not turned in to anyone. You don't even have to prove you've given them the tests. The schools I've put my kids into didn't even want to look at them.

Homeschooling here is easy peasy.

I'm in GA also; we don't track or submit hours. As for testing, we moved here when my older ds was already 10. The homeschool code says to test every 3 years, which would normally be 3rd, 6th, 9th grades. But IIRC the advice I got (now I can't remember where from--sorry!) was to test after we'd been here 3 years. We had already planned to test that year (before we moved from another state that didn't require testing) so we just went ahead and tested that first year.

As Beth said, it's easy in practice! Don' worry at all. We fax in our attendance report each month, marking which days we did school. No requirement to log hours.

Yeah, my county has an online form I fill in and submit for attendance. That's pretty cool.

And even standardized testing is easy. You can administer it at home so you can use any test you want. The first year I used the PASS test from Hewitt Homeschooling, but since then I've used the CAT from Family Learning Organization.