Menu

TOG veterans with older students

Sophia

Okay, this is probably going to be glaringly obvious but I could use some input.

My TOG plan for this year was Y.2 U 3&4 AND Y3 U 1&2.

We are done with Y2 and should begin Y3, but since my oldest is in 8th and I have heard the Redesigned is much improved for Dialectic and Rhetoric, I am considering putting off TOG until fall when I can use the Redesigned and finish the year with Notgrass's Exploring Georgia (we have not done state history.)

That way ds would have:

9th-TOG Y3

10th-TOG Y4

11th-TOG Y1

12th-TOG Y2

I'm not usually anxiety ridden over curriculum choices; I think I'm just feeling the weight of getting ready to enter high school next year.

Plus, if I'm going to do this I need to trade in my classic units before the price increase.

So, what say you?

Am I going to ruin him if I do this??

Although I am not a TOG veteran (this is our first year using Y3 Classic), I have been hsing for 8 years. I am a firm believer doing what works best for you.

I have to say that after using the Classic, we will be skipping Y4 and going to Y1 and doing the redesign. With 5 dc, I need that little bit extra that the redesign offers.

HTH,

Blessings,

Monique

Ds is extremely bright but extremely unmotivated.

This past semester has been brutal in his eyes because I have required alot from him with TOG.

He has learned sooo much this past semester and I guess I'm concerned he'll lose his momentum, so to speak, if I drop TOG until fall.

Notgrass's state history looks good, and I do want him to do it, but having never used that material before, I'm not sure what to expect.

I would be concerned about government studies if you're going to be using TOG for that. Having Y3, Y4 and then going back to Y1, Y2- if you were to do government, it would be at the beginning of his rhetoric years and I would think the government path is pretty hefty from 1750-now. On the other hand, I think it would be neat to study modern day government and then go right back into Ancient - Medieval times for comparison and point of origin.

If I were looking to use the government elective, I would consider that. Possibly Philosophy too.

But then again, I'm just adding my 2¢ in and I only have a 2nd grader. :eek:

There's always another hand, isn't there?:rolleyes:

I hear what you're saying and that has been another concern.

My plan is to keep him involved in Teenpact throughout high school so government studies will always be present.

He plans on going back into debate next year (he was in it last year)

and NCFCA usually picks topics that involve gov't/ politics.

Thanks for your input.

Btw, Trivium tid-bits is a cute name:)

There's always another hand, isn't there?:rolleyes:

I hear what you're saying and that has been another concern.

My plan is to keep him involved in Teenpact throughout high school so government studies will always be present.

He plans on going back into debate next year (he was in it last year)

and NCFCA usually picks topics that involve gov't/ politics.

Thanks for your input.

Btw, Trivium tid-bits is a cute name:)

You know I have thought of this one quite a bit, because my dc are so close in age it will be impossible to graduate them all in year 4.

In your case I would start covering government in y3, but use a stand alone government program as a refresher course during their senior year, if need.

Heather