Menu

Math Mammoth and Division

Forget-Me-Not

I'm seriously irked at this issue and I'm not sure how to resolve it. My son is doing 3B and the book repeatedly asks him to do problems that I really only know how to solve by division--but they haven't taught division yet, and he's still getting a grasp on the multiplication table that was just taught in 3A.

For example, this morning's work has him converting feet to yards. For example, 24 feet = ______ yards. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe we need to go back and really work on memorizing the multiplication table.

I'm seriously irked at this issue and I'm not sure how to resolve it. My son is doing 3B and the book repeatedly asks him to do problems that I really only know how to solve by division--but they haven't taught division yet, and he's still getting a grasp on the multiplication table that was just taught in 3A.

For example, this morning's work has him converting feet to yards. For example, 24 feet = ______ yards. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe we need to go back and really work on memorizing the multiplication table.

We have seen some problems in MM2 like this, my initial reaction is to think it is necessary to divide or multiply when it hasn't been taught yet, but really, there has always been a way to do it with the tool already taught. In this example, it would be multiplication. If 3 feet are in a yard, how many 3's would you need to make 24? (3 X __= 24)

We have seen some problems in MM2 like this, my initial reaction is to think it is necessary to divide or multiply when it hasn't been taught yet, but really, there has always been a way to do it with the tool already taught. In this example, it would be multiplication. If 3 feet are in a yard, how many 3's would you need to make 24? (3 X __= 24)

Yes, that's what we ended up doing. I guess this has been good for ME as well from a problem-solving standpoint. She puts some teasers in that would be easily solved with algebra, but obviously I can't go there yet and I have to really think it through in my head :D

Yep, we had the exact problem a few weeks ago with MM 3B. I got out my measuring tape and asked my daughter to find how many 3 feets were in a yard. It was difficult for her at first but it got much easier with the visual aid! She caught on right away with division. By the way.....we used the book Multiplication in a Flash to memorize the multiplication facts. I highly reccomend that book! We spent about 3 weeks with just that book. It really helped. I have also found the extra worksheets in MM are needed for more practice than the workbook gives. We got the downloadable worksheet generator.

Yep, we had the exact problem a few weeks ago with MM 3B. I got out my measuring tape and asked my daughter to find how many 3 feets were in a yard. It was difficult for her at first but it got much easier with the visual aid! She caught on right away with division. By the way.....we used the book Multiplication in a Flash to memorize the multiplication facts. I highly reccomend that book! We spent about 3 weeks with just that book. It really helped. I have also found the extra worksheets in MM are needed for more practice than the workbook gives. We got the downloadable worksheet generator.

Thanks for the book suggestion! I'll look into that.