Menu

Secular alternative to Apologia Anatomy

Cosmos

Does it exist?

I'm looking for an upper elementary or middle school level anatomy program that's fairly thorough and rigorous. Planning to spend roughly 8-12 weeks on it. Apologia seems to fit the bill nicely . . . except for the religious content. I am not fond of mixing religion with science.

Does anyone know of a comparable program that is secular? Or is the Apologia program good enough to use anyway and filter out what we don't want?

If you find any for elementary, let me know.

Maybe Mr. Q's lab? I find his books 'loud' though.

NOEO? likely not?

REAL Science Odyssey?

Library books with Science in a Nutshell Kits? Not sure of the cost of those.

Maybe Mr. Q's lab? I find his books 'loud' though.

I'm wonder what grade level these are intended for. I didn't see any indication on the website. The Life Science one is available for FREE, so that's definitely a plus. But it seems awfully elementary to me. I think my ds needs something more in-depth.

NOEO? likely not?

NOEO Biology II uses the Usborne Science Encyclopedia as a spine, I believe. We did a 6-week unit on plants this fall using that book, and I guess I found it a bit dry. I think I'd like a text that's less encyclopedic and a little more engaging, if I can find one.

REAL Science Odyssey?
This looks really fun to me. I wish I'd known about it when ds was younger. Unfortunately, their Biology 1 is a too young for my ds, and Biology 2 isn't out yet.

Library books with Science in a Nutshell Kits? Not sure of the cost of those.
Sigh. Yeah, this is what I'm sort of hoping to avoid. Actually, I don't mind pulling the experiments together, but I'd really like to have a good spine rather than doing the library thing.

Goodness, I didn't mean to sound so negative toward your suggestions. Sorry about that! Finding good secular science shouldn't be so difficult.

Well, I have never bothered to look at any of the Appologia materials because I know I won't buy them. I know their science is well liked and rigorous, but I have the same issue with their religious stance.

If you are looking for logic stage anatomy there are a couple things I can think of off the top of my head, but I don't know how they compare with Apppologia, so forgive me if I am way off base.

There is Lyrical Life Science. I own it, but ended up not using it. However, that was because, while I thought it was just a supplemental cute thing, it was more in-depth than I had time for last year. It is worksheet based and has a fun CD of songs to help the student memorize anatomy facts. I am planning to make better use of it the next time I teach life science.

I used a book called "blood and guts". We actually did the dissections! It was lots of fun.

Does it exist?

I'm looking for an upper elementary or middle school level anatomy program that's fairly thorough and rigorous. Planning to spend roughly 8-12 weeks on it. Apologia seems to fit the bill nicely . . . except for the religious content. I am not fond of mixing religion with science.

Does anyone know of a comparable program that is secular? Or is the Apologia program good enough to use anyway and filter out what we don't want?

I would love this too. I just looked at the Apologia Anatomy sample online, and the content actually looked pretty good for DS11 or this coming year, minus the apparent sprinkling of Bible verses that exist according to Amazon reviews, and frankly the title makes me shudder-- we are Christians, but I teach my kds to love God, not fear him ("Fearfully and Wonderfully Made") :confused: and to study their theology in context, not to take sound bytes out of context and sprinkle them about in a science book.

I would love a secular equivilant of this program; the content from what I can see looks fine, but I don't want to tell my kid we are "anti-Bible" by telling him the verses are inappropriate (we aren't) or distract him while he's studying a detailed enough subject if I don't have to.

Anybody? I would love an actual physiology course rather than just a rundown of body systems.

I used Guest Hollow's program http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html, for a partial anatomy and physiology course (cells, dna, genetics, reproduction, skeleton, muscles) in grade 6 but I tweeked it quite a bit. We used Ellen McHenry's The Brain http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/The-Brain_c21.htm and GEMS Learning about Learning http://lhsgems.org/GEMSLearning.html for the Nervous System. These 2 programs were excellent.

We are continuing our studies this year with and I'm not quite sure what we will use, probably the HS Biology at Quarks and Quirks http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

Edited by cschnee