Menu

Anyway to do psychology as an elective in high school?

I'd aim for taking the AP test. Here's the list of texts recommended by the College Boards.

http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/courses/psychology_textbook_list.html

The AP tests are usually given at the beginning of May, so she should plan to finish her course in April to allow time for test prep. Or she could take a class at the community college.

My guy is self-studying for the AP test this year. He is going through a book, then supplementing with a couple of (free) AP Prep websites and a couple of bought Prep books. It's similar to what he did for AP Stats and he got a 5. I can't call the course an AP course since I don't have permission, but he's doing the same things to prepare for the test. He loves it.

We used a book for my daughter when she was in highschool. She was also interested in the subject. In the end she is going to college to be a psychologist. The book is Homeschool Psychology by Dr. Tim Rice. He wrote this book to prepare homeschooled kids for college psychology 101. It is a great book and I am now using it for all my children.

• 3 weeks later...
DD will be using SL's Psychology course for an elective credit. There are others - but so far I like SL's best bec it uses Myer's text.

My son used the Sonlight program last year and LOVED it! The text by David Myers is terrific. He liked the book so much he begged me to let him keep it. He was able to study for, and pass the Intro to Psych CLEP exam last spring, earning 3 college credits. I would highly recommend the Sonlight Psychology course. It was a full year of study, so he earned 1 high school credit.