Menu

Dynamic Literacy's WordBuild

I posted in another thread but think it got lost. Anyone use this? I'm wondering if you found the teacher's manuals necessary or if you could do WordBuild with just the student activity books. $85 is crazy for a vocabulary program! I'm spoiled, perhaps, by Vocab from Classical Roots workbooks. How do these compare with those?

I posted in another thread but think it got lost. Anyone use this? I'm wondering if you found the teacher's manuals necessary or if you could do WordBuild with just the student activity books. $85 is crazy for a vocabulary program! I'm spoiled, perhaps, by Vocab from Classical Roots workbooks. How do these compare with those?

We use WordBuild (the lowest level--Foundations 1, I think?), and I think you could easily do it without the teacher manual, particularly if you take a look at the samples the site. Each week's teacher instruction is pretty much the same, IMO--what varies is the affix and definition.

Frankly, I'm not loving it. I find it very school-y, and we're about to switch to doing it all orally, both to reduce DD's frustration and cut unnecessary repetition. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for instead, and I think the affix-focused instruction is pertinent and interesting, but... I don't know, I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I just feel like vocabulary is something best learned through exposure? I'm really not sure. We're also doing Latin now, though, and we'll eventually get to vocab study via MCT, so maybe it's just overkill.

Sorry, I wish I could be more specific. I'm not experienced enough with vocab programs to compare it for you, I just know that I find it rather dull. We'll see if more discussion versus so much repetitive writing can save it!

I am using WordBuild Foundations Level 1 this year. I bought the TM, but the only thing I use it for is the assessment tests which are about every six or seven chapters. Part of the reason I don't use the TM is that I just don't have the time, and vocabulary is on the lower end of my priorities. I do think my son gets what I want him to get out of the program without me doing anything with the TM (but please don't tell the people at Dynamic Literacy I said that).

I like the program in that it teaches my son what I want him to learn. I am content to spend the first two years on prefixes and suffixes, and then we will learn Latin and Greek word roots for the next three years. Even though the program is not exciting, I think it is useful and serves our purposes. I have not tried any other vocabulary programs other than Wordly Wise, however.

I loved the looks of this program when I saw it last year. It is the high price tag that is keeping me from buying it.

Can we buy just the student workbook? I mean, I know they sell additional student workbooks, but I assumed they checked for previous proof-of-purchase for the TG.

I will get this if I can get just the workbook.

For now, I got some vocabulary e-books by Creative Teaching Press instead.

• 3 months later...