Menu

OT testing

Night Elf

Is there a way to get a list of skills that an OT measures? What about for an educational evaluation? Is there a book for parents that explains this?

I don't think my ds15 needs a professional evaluation but there may be some areas we can work on. I just don't know what is important enough that an OT would consider something an area that needs improvement.

Things I'm thinking about:

--My son has a strange walking gait. I can't remember the last time I saw him run. Will he be able to handle the required P.E. class in college?

--His writing is slow. His penmanship is perfectly acceptable. He can't write for an extended period of time without his hand hurting. (I'm beginning to work on this with him.)

What if there are other things the should be able to do that I'm not aware of?

I have no answers, but I've never heard of there being a PE class in college (except for the service academies, of course). So, one less thing to worry about ;)

On the strange gait, I'd probably start with the ped and see where that gets you - potentially a visit with the ped orthopedic surgeon I suppose, but who knows what the other possibilities are (e.g., one of my kids had a tethered spinal cord, but I don't remember whether a strange gait could be a symptom).

Eta, re: OT, I kind of assumed you were already familiar with books such as Sensational Kids by Miller and the SPD foundation website. I'd start there.

Edited by wapiti

Find an OT who will work with you once a month and give you lots of homework. You're right that there's a ton you can do at home. They're going to look at his motor control, sensory, etc. etc. Sounds like he'd definitely benefit from an evaluation. We paid for every week, which was just too much. Ours was hairbrained and never thorough with homework. Later I read in a book the suggestion to go just once a month and get lots of homework, and I think it's right on. A lot of the stuff they do you can easily do at home once you know how. You *may* have a resistant child, so then sometimes having the other person telling them what to do helps. But yes, you can get by with once a month and lots at home if you find someone who will work with you that way.

BTW, the OT will be able to show you why his hand hurts when he writes. They'll look at his core strength, how he shifts weight as he leans forward (it's neurological and connected to that gait and the running thing), finger strength, etc. etc. You don't have to make him write a ton to improve it. They'll have other things he can do that will get him there. That way he won't associate writing with torture.

As a more positive, whole example of that, KarenAnne has told the story that her daughter went from extreme pain with writing to pages in one summer while working at a horse farm caring for the horses (shoveling, grooming, etc.).

I have no answers, but I've never heard of there being a PE class in college (except for the service academies, of course). So, one less thing to worry about ;)

There is here in Georgia! When I was in college 20 years ago, we had to have 2 credit hours of a PE and generally each class was 1 credit. They had lots of cool things like sports, dancing, bowling, archery and swimming. I took a walking class that was worth 3 credits and got it knocked out in one semester. The most recent college I've been in has one class that is both a health and PE combo and is required of all students.

"Fitness for Living: Emphasis on the importance of physical activity, nutrition, stress and weight management, and health-related fitness components. Topics will be developed with practical applications to oneÆs life-style including opportunities to assess selected fitness, nutritional and activity patterns, and to develop and participate in a personalized physical activity program. " It meets two class periods per week.

BTW, the OT will be able to show you why his hand hurts when he writes. They'll look at his core strength, how he shifts weight as he leans forward (it's neurological and connected to that gait and the running thing), finger strength, etc. etc. You don't have to make him write a ton to improve it. They'll have other things he can do that will get him there. That way he won't associate writing with torture.

I'll start with his pedi then. If it's physical, we can do it through Kaiser. I just know who they do the referral to and I'm worried it will all be set up for little kids. The place is called Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and their office is very 'young child' friendly. We were referred there years ago for GI problems. But I guess it's worth a shot.

There is here in Georgia! When I was in college 20 years ago, we had to have 2 credit hours of a PE and generally each class was 1 credit. They had lots of cool things like sports, dancing, bowling, archery and swimming. I took a walking class that was worth 3 credits and got it knocked out in one semester. The most recent college I've been in has one class that is both a health and PE combo and is required of all students.

"Fitness for Living: Emphasis on the importance of physical activity, nutrition, stress and weight management, and health-related fitness components. Topics will be developed with practical applications to oneÆs life-style including opportunities to assess selected fitness, nutritional and activity patterns, and to develop and participate in a personalized physical activity program. " It meets two class periods per week.

That's interesting. All I can say is that if for some reason he couldn't handle the PE, I bet there's a way to get out of the physical aspects of the requirement (for example, I have a kiddo with a heart condition and that would be out of the question), or he could go out of state or to a private college.

(btw :iagree: with OhE's advice)

Can you find the OT you want and then have the ped write the referral to there? Our place wasn't babyish, but it was an independent OT. If you're that close to Atlanta, check around. You may have more options. Try doing the provider search for Interactive Metronome and seeing if there are any OTs on there. The people doing IM tend to be very in the stream of these kids.