Menu

Wanting to dive deeper into each book rather than just read aloud - suggestions

Shellydon

My rising 5th grader is ready to have more than just read alouds for literature. We have used either Sonlight or WP up to this point. She has excellent comprehension and memory, but I am looking for something that pushes her to start picking apart the text a little and digging for deeper understanding. I am sure such a curric exists, but I don't know about yet. Any suggestions?

Junior Great Books teaches these skills in the context of short stories of fine old myths and folk tales. It's best used in a group, a year behind.

Teach Like Your Hair Is On Fire has an excellent way to introduce literary analysis to 5th grades via the movie The Wizard of Oz.

TWTM has great ideas and questions for this. Read the logic stage literature section--it's awesome.

In addition to the suggestions you have already gotten, I'd recommend listening to SWB's lecture on Literary Analysis - I got a lot of good hints from this.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

The other game-changer for me was the book Deconstructing Penguins. It really helped demystify the process of discussing the book at a deeper level. We're reading and discussing several of the books in DP right now, and getting a lot out of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Penguins-Parents-Kids-Reading/dp/0812970284/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top