Menu

I need science ideas for my son......

MamaChristina

who is in 2nd grade, LOVES to draw (and does so well), and wants to learn about inventions and how things are made. He is constantly inventing things and drawing them. Our current science is boring him, so I'd like to find something different. However, I'm having a difficult time finding something like this. Any suggestions?

I've looked at Noeo Physics I and I think it would be fitting, but I don't know if I could swing the price right now.

I would prefer something already put together for me as I have lots going on, but am open to any ideas at this point.

:bigear:

who is in 2nd grade, LOVES to draw (and does so well), and wants to learn about inventions and how things are made. He is constantly inventing things and drawing them. Our current science is boring him, so I'd like to find something different. However, I'm having a difficult time finding something like this. Any suggestions?

I've looked at Noeo Physics I and I think it would be fitting, but I don't know if I could swing the price right now.

I would prefer something already put together for me as I have lots going on, but am open to any ideas at this point.

:bigear:

Take a look at the Happy Scientist website. That could be fun for him.

Also anything he is interested in, you can first try to guess how it is done, then research how it is made and he can draw and write about it. This is especially good for "ordinary" every day items, whose invention may now be taken for granted, but at one time were quite amazing inventions.

Specific recommendation: Pencils. We just looked up how pencils are made--first guessing--then researching. This was especially good for my son who also likes to draw, and gave some knowledge of what goes into the tools for the drawing process. Plus there was a little history to learn about too. And it even tied in to environmental and literature study areas as it turned out that Henry David Thoreau was an inventor in the pencils area. Plus we learned about pencils at the time of the American Revolution (one normally thinks of quill pens, I think.) Check it out!

I'm looking at this for next year: Beautiful Feet's History of Science

http://bfbooks.com/History-of-Science-Pack-with-The-New-Way-Things-Work

It goes over great scientists, inventions and inventors, etc. It has an experiment booklet, and it looks like it will ask the student to record observations in a notebook, and your son could easily add drawings.

Just a thought... we were looking for something a little different, too!