Menu

Does anyone change the activities in HOD's LHFHG or BLHFHG?

aprilsblessings

I feel like the bulk of the program (besides doing 3 Rs ofcourse) is the activity box and we are not crazy about the activities in the younger guides. In other words the left side of the guide reading is very minimal (short) and then you have the activities.

From bigger on up do the activities get better?

If you weren't crazy about the activities in the lower guides did you change them or add different ones inorder to stay with HOD?

We are doing Beyond this year, and many times we just skip the activities. I love the idea of hands on stuff, but I don't feel like we have to do it every day. If I really like the activity we do it. If I don't, we don't. :)

eta: I'm starting to realize that I love HOD for the older guides more than the younger guides. I have 3 more kiddos coming up, and I really think I will just do my own version of the HOD guides for them....just referring to the guide as reference for ideas. The older guides are what truly appeal to me.

We are doing Beyond this year, and many times we just skip the activities. I love the idea of hands on stuff, but I don't feel like we have to do it every day. If I really like the activity we do it. If I don't, we don't. :)

eta: I'm starting to realize that I love HOD for the older guides more than the younger guides. I have 3 more kiddos coming up, and I really think I will just do my own version of the HOD guides for them....just referring to the guide as reference for ideas. The older guides are what truly appeal to me.

Do you consider Beyond and up to be the older guides or Bigger and up? Just curious.

I thought some of the activities in Beyond were too time-consuming and that the amount of learning didn't match the time involvement, but it turns out that my ds absolutely loved doing them and they were a highlight of his studies. On a daily basis, he would beg to do HOD! This year, we're doing Bigger and although I started out with the intention of doing all of the left side, I've been finding myself doing the reading, but skipping many of the activities. I know my ds would enjoy them, but we're supplementing HOD with other areas and there just isn't the time in the day for everything. It's a balancing act that I haven't quite conquered!

Although I'm often tempted to skip some of the activities, I've found that my children really tend to enjoy them. They generally are pretty easy to do, and I usually have what's needed handy. When I don't, then we just skip it. For instance, I think there's a Beyond activity that uses cream, and we have milk allergies here ... so we skipped that one.

If we happen to be really behind schedule on a particular day, I'll sometimes skip something. Sometimes I'll save a more involved activity for the weekend. I don't think it hurts anything to occasionally skip an activity, but I think the activities add a lot of interest and excitement for many children!

I do like the activities more in Bigger than I did in Beyond (I think they are quicker too!). In Preparing on up, the activities are more independent, so they won't be time-consuming for you.

Hope that helps! :001_smile:

Edited to add: I didn't like some of the activities in LHTH, so I just skipped or modified them. We're about to start LHFHG in a few months, so I don't know what those are like yet!

We always do the geography activities. The dramatic play, art, and history activities are optional. I find some to be great and others to be a time-waster.

If you're lovin' HOD, great. Use HOD to suit your family, not the other way around. This is what I regularly tell myself anyway. :D