Menu

Sonlight 400

We haven't done this one yet, but when we get there, I'm planning on assigning the following credits:

1 Bible

1 American Literature

1 American Government

I've also seen where some have chosen to assign an additional 1/2 credit of either Civics or Political Science.

The above bolded is what I gave my older boys when we used it several years ago.

But, I just have to say, Core 400 was the one and only SL Core that I truly disliked with almost every fiber of my being. We hated it but we finished it, and I immediately sold it. ;)

The above bolded is what I gave my older boys when we used it several years ago.

But, I just have to say, Core 400 was the one and only SL Core that I truly disliked with almost every fiber of my being. We hated it but we finished it, and I immediately sold it. ;)

Was it the Bible portion that ruined it for you? Was the core just boring overall?

The overall Core was highly boring, unless you have a student who LOVES to dig super deep into boring college level law-ish government and theology books. If your student is average, it's probably not going to be a good fit. Even *I* could barely understand what the main texts were trying to say. I would read the Basic Government text to/with my boys...and afterward we would all look at each other and say...huh? :lol: Yes, it was that bad and John's notes did not help. I thought that perhaps my boys and I were just really, really dumb, but as I asked around I found that many had the same experience with Core 400. It's not a highly popular Core.

I remember buying it and being so excited about it too. I loved, loved, loved all the American Lit and was so happy my boys would be reading all those wonderful books, and that we could then discuss them together. Ha! At the time, and hopefully this has changed with SL's updates, there was no literary analysis and zero...I'm talking ZERO...help for the parent in regards to discussion of the Lit. The parent had to literally read each and every book with their student in order to have any type of discussion. SL's response at that time was something like, "We want your student to read these selections and just enjoy them, we don't feel that we need to discuss or dissect them". Whaaaaa??? Dismal disappointment.

The bible was another area I was excited about. I LOVE bible theology and I very much enjoy digging deep into that area of study. Not with those books though. :tongue_smilie: We eventually had to drop the bible portion and get something more suitable to a real high school student.

I honestly think it has the potential of being a great Core...but I will never consider it again unless they revamp it completely. I mean completely, with new main texts, new bible, and lots of literary notes and helps for the parent. I know for a fact that my boys didn't learn a lot that year because, except for the Lit, they didn't understand half of what they read. They surely didn't learn Government in any way that was pertinent. It was an entire year wasted by an overly difficult Core. :glare:

Fast forward to my boys college civics classes...Yay! Books on the subject they can relate to and understand! I would have rather my youngest ds take Government at the community college and get real credit for it, than slog through Core 400. I have no good memories of that Core. None. I'm sorry. I do wish I could be more positive. I'm sure there are others out there who LOVED it though...but as for me and my house? Not so much.:D

I just found this at SL:

http://www.sonlight.com/ig-update-chart.html

I see nowhere that they updated Core 400 Lit. I see that they did so for Core 300 back in 2009, which after viewing a sample the other day, is why I briefly considered it for our upcoming year.

So, though their Core 400 sample has a bit of info in regards to the Scarlet Letter...info like that is very rare and, more often than not, nonexistent.

Hi. I used Sonlight Cores 3 and 4 with my boys, but then I deserted and went to Tapestry of Grace because I didn't want to compress all of world history into two years like Sonlight does in Cores 6 and 7. I haven't been back to SL (although I really liked Cores 3 and 4) because I'm very happy with TOG. I am always interested in good feedback about the various options, though.

OUr oldest son will only be going into 9th grade next year, and I think we'll stick with TOG and follow their Government thread, which seems to be a very strong way to teach about government every year, over the entire course of human history, not just condensing it into one year. I don't know about assigning credits for any of these curricula, but will be looking for more info on that as I get into the high school years next year.

Thank you for your totally honest and very thorough comments on this Core! I could not have asked for a better review.

We're a bunch of "average Joes" too, and it sounds like I would be in the same predicament as you and your boys were! If I can't understand a book, to explain it to them, then we would drown in the Core.

~coffee~