Menu

"I Saw the Angel In the Marble" - Have you read this?

I've had my eye on this book, and it's companion I Carved the Angel from the Marble for quite some time. http://www.homeschoolmarketplace.com/angelmain.htm

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it? What sort of general homeschooling philosophy does it espouse?

I'm currently using HOD, and really enjoying it. But there's a little part of me that wants to take more control of doing the choosing of which living books and assignments my children do ... I'm just thinking I can't do that without going crazy and spending hours and hours planning, which is something my kind husband does not want me to do! :D

So ... any thoughts?

Thanks!:001_smile:

There are 2 books, "I Saw the Angel" and "I Carved the Angel from the Marble". These titles often bring tears to my eyes, as they reflect the exciting/overwhelming job of homeschooling our children.

They originate from a Michelangelo quote:

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

The authors, Chris and Ellyn Davis, are long-time Christian homeschoolers with 3 adult sons (who must be 30 years old by now).

They used to have a homeschool curriculum company, Elijah Company, and my dh and I went to a one-day seminar Chris gave when our 3rd son was a newborn (in 1995)! Their catalog was filled with ideas and articles that really helped many homeschoolers over the years. I believe these two books are a compilation of some of those beloved articles.

While we embrace WTM ideas, we also continue to be greatly encouraged with the Big Picture that Chris presented--discovering and working to develop your individual child's unique strengths. :001_smile:

The authors, Chris and Ellyn Davis, are long-time Christian homeschoolers with 3 adult sons (who must be 30 years old by now).

They used to have a homeschool curriculum company, Elijah Company, and my dh and I went to a one-day seminar Chris gave when our 3rd son was a newborn (in 1995)! Their catalog was filled with ideas and articles that really helped many homeschoolers over the years. I believe these two books are a compilation of some of those beloved articles.

While we embrace WTM ideas, we also continue to be greatly encouraged with the Big Picture that Chris presented--discovering and working to develop your individual child's unique strengths. :001_smile:

I still have my last Elijah Co catalog, and it sits on the shelf with my other homeschooling books. They served as a guide and inspiration to an entire generation of homeschoolers. :001_smile:

I read the books, borrowed from a friend, years ago. I remember I found them more helpful than some other similar authors, though I couldn't tell you any specifics anymore.