Menu

Project-Based Writing (from Edutopia)

Isn't this how 8Fill teaches writing to her children? I may be wrong, but it seems very close to how she approaches the teaching of writing.

Not sure if 8 would agree with everything the author says.

I do love the author's attitude:

As some of my readers may know, I had an awakening of sorts this past summer: I am NOT going to teach so test driven, I told myself. I'm tired of the five-paragraph essay! Where does it exist anywhere but in school? Instead, I decided, that everything I did this school year would have some connection to the world outside of school. The plan: to immerse my lessons and my classroom assessments in authenticity. And test scores be ****ed.

Instead of written narrations in science and history, I've had my dds do video presentations. They will start using Scratch to present some of their new knowledge. Dd8 just started a blog to write in a non-school'ish format.

I appreciate her reference to TED talks. I watch at least 3 per night in bed. I'm addicted to all things TED.

We then quickly moved into our next unit, this one focusing on a blend of Advocacy and Memoir similar to those performed for TED. We are currently presenting our TED-esque speeches in class over this next week.

This list is fabulous. I can't wait to try some of these things w/ my dc.

Ten Reasons to Teach Using Project-Based Writing

It is an organic way to integrate all CORE subjects: math, science, history, and language arts

It proves to students that imagination and creativity are connected to research and expository writing

It hits all the major elements of the higher level of Bloom's Taxonomy: analysis, evaluation, and creation

By allowing a student to choose their format of showing what they know, the buy-in for the quality of the final project is tremendous

Students develop projects individualized, unique, and specific from each other

It is a powerful way to incorporate all multiple intelligences: visual, audio, kinesthetic, musical, linguistic, logical, etc.

It desegregates non-fiction and fiction, blending the two

It integrates the CORE subjects with non-core subjects, potentially using technology, art, music, etc.

It is a rigorous assessment requiring high-levels of thought and communication

It requires use of the entire writing process from brainstorm through revision, editing, and final draft regardless of the genres picked and the topic chosen

I have already been teaching writing like this without knowing what the official name was. I agree that tying writing assignments to real life and giving options is a way to get student buy-in. A more involved student will give better constructed and interesting assignments and projects. I want to breathe life into our day not make it the same old same. I'm all for PowerPoint Presentations, Brochures, Essays, Manuscripts, Poems, Research Reports, Newsletters, Written Songs, etc.

Not sure if 8 would agree with everything the author says.

:lol: Nope, probably not. :tongue_smilie: I completely agree with not teaching to any test and definitely not teaching a 5 paragraph essay (the only thing my kids write a 5 paragraph essay for is the ACT/SAT). However, essay and research writing is the backbone of my kids education. They play around and create power point projects w/o any prompting, so they are definitely not assigned anything like that. (and no, they don't sit around writing academic essays w/o a due date looming. ;) )