Menu

Christian Kids Explore Biology or Apologia Anatomy

Mrs.W

My kids are begging to study anatomy next year. We're using Apologia's Flying Creatures this year and had planned to continue with that series. But my understanding is that the anatomy text is pretty advanced, so I wonder if it will be too much for my daughter who will be in 4th next year and my son who will be in 7th but has delays due to autism.

We used CKE Earth and Space a few years ago and enjoyed it, and wondered if that might be a good alternative. I see that the anatomy part is only a portion of the book, but maybe that's okay.

Any thoughts? Or even other programs I should look at? Those are the only two I have any experience with.

Thanks!

We're just finishing CKEB and I had to add to it a LOT in order for me to feel satisfied with content coverage. The human body chapter was super light so I used it only as my jumping off point and for copies of diagrams. ;) We rely more on God's Design books (which are also fabulous for teaching outlining, btw!).

I'm not sure how helpful this is but we are currently doing apolagia biology and it is at a fairly high level and I think the anatomy course is supposed to come after. You might want to consider the apologia general science, it had several anatomy chapters at the end of the course. Also quite a good section on creation and dinosaurs. I can't remember the rest. Anyway my son did it when he was 9 and enjoyed it. I had to help him with his notes and test prep because it required more organization than he was able to do. But he did great on the tests.

We're just finishing CKEB and I had to add to it a LOT in order for me to feel satisfied with content coverage. The human body chapter was super light so I used it only as my jumping off point and for copies of diagrams. ;) We rely more on God's Design books (which are also fabulous for teaching outlining, btw!).

That's exactly what I was worried about. Thanks for sharing and for the tip on the God's Design books -- I will look those up!

I'm not sure how helpful this is but we are currently doing apolagia biology and it is at a fairly high level and I think the anatomy course is supposed to come after. You might want to consider the apologia general science, it had several anatomy chapters at the end of the course. Also quite a good section on creation and dinosaurs. I can't remember the rest. Anyway my son did it when he was 9 and enjoyed it. I had to help him with his notes and test prep because it required more organization than he was able to do. But he did great on the tests.

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- I'm talking about the elementary books. My oldest used the general science book last year at her Christian school, and I know that's way too advanced for my younger two. I'm amazed your 9 yr. old was able to do so well with it!