Menu

What to use after Rod and Staff English 7? (Or, when are we done with grammar?)

Dd 6th grade is using it this yr-she is adept at grammar, although this is only her 2nd yr diagramming (after using R+S 5 last yr)-it's coming very very easily to her.

We don't want to use R+S 8 next yr, so what to use?

Would AG be a good fit, or too much review? I was thinking of having her do AG all in one year, and then call it done with grammar except maybe get their review/reinforcement book to do in perhaps 9th grade.

When are we done with grammar? How do we know?

Warriner's is nice for jr. high or high school. I plan on doing one year on/one year off for grammar during jr. high and high school for my crew. That's what I had waaaay back when; it worked well to keep things fresh, but not beat it to death.

My second ed. of WTM also mentions Abeka as a possibility for that age.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Someone on these boards said about doing Rod and Staff in three months. So, I decided to do that. My son finished Rod and Staff 8 by November. We have spent the rest of the year doing writing. The work can be done in a semester if you skip the writing. We do three lessons a day. We were done by November. He still got a 98% on his final exam. He is pretty adept at grammar. So, that's what we did, but Rod and Staff only goes up to 10th grade anyway. They say it repeats itself for 9th and 10th grade. You may want to stop at 8th. I know 7th grade introduces gerunds and 8th goes a little more indepth. I have decided to continue with Rod and Staff only because I know that we can do it in a semester.

Also, there is Our Mother Tongue. That can be done in about one or two years depending. It has a lot a diagramming, but it is pretty thorough.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony