Menu

Help! I need a World Literature anthology, high school level

Help! I need a World Literature anthology, high school level, that includes English translation excerpts of the most important/best known European (non-British) works from the 17th-19th centuries. Discussion/analysis questions would be a HUGE bonus! Does such a book exist? I own Norton's Anthology of World Literature, but, as I said, I want high school level.

ETA: Author bios are a must as as well.

Edited by ereks mom

I remember using the Norton Anthology in high school, my senior year, for a world lit class. I think you could go ahead and use it for a strong student, if you wanted.

Otherwise, Glencoe World Literature I believe has discussion/analysis questions in it. Not sure of any others, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Scott Foresman has a World Literature text, but I don't own it and don't know what is in it. I do have SF United States in Literature and England in Literature. I love the format, first there is an overview of the history of the time. Then there are author bios for every author. Then great questions. Most of the answers are in the teacher's edition, which is exactly the same as the text, but wider margins have, again, most answers. You just have to skip what doesn't have an answer, but there is plenty without those. Since the texts are used, I don't know how you would be able to find out what is in them. But you can get both teacher's and students for under $25.

Ds is an English major, his closet is full of Norton (and other) anthologies. I'm sure there is one for what you want. They are quite in depth and very long (a lot of whole works in them). I have borrowed one on occasion, but it was too much for us for high school.

A few years ago someone on this board recommended this book...World Literature. I bought it new for very cheap on Amazon. Looks like you can get a used copy for less than $1! :)

It's a great anthology, imho.

I have n older edition (bought used online) of World Literature from Holt, Rinehart Winston, and it includes excerpts from Decameron and Don Quixote, la Fontaine's Fables, Candide, Faust, 19th C French writers, etc. Includes analytical questions, essay suggestions ,introductory info, author bios, etc.

This must be the book I'm referring to. I have the 3rd edition.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Thank you all so much! I have added your suggestions to my wish list. There are so many books out there that look really good, and I just can't stop buying them! I have a tendency to collect literature books--I buy them at thrift stores, used book sales, eBay, and anywhere else I find them. :D

Thank you all so much! I have added your suggestions to my wish list. There are so many books out there that look really good, and I just can't stop buying them! I have a tendency to collect literature books--I buy them at thrift stores, used book sales, eBay, and anywhere else I find them. :D

Get a Kindle. Most of the original works included in "World Literature" are more than 70 years old which means that the copyright has expired and they are available for free.

For what it's worth Tapestry does use the Norton in their high school programs, but they provide the discussion, etc. without that you'd have some work in front of you.

You could try searching at your local used bookstore and picking up single volumes that fit the time period and have good discussion. Usually the classics are dead cheap in local used bookstores.

The shorter version of the Norton's Anthology of World Lit. in one volume was v. reasonably priced and we've been really happy with it so far. We haven't had to supplement it much. We bought it used on Amazon in June.

I have two copies of that one (paid 39c each at the thrift store! :thumbup:) but I'm looking for something that has 1) brief author biographies written on a high school student's level, and 2) discussion/analysis questions a high school student can relate to.

Get a Kindle. Most of the original works included in "World Literature" are more than 70 years old which means that the copyright has expired and they are available for free.

We have Kindles, so maybe that's a good option for us. I just need author bios and discussion/analysis questions (and I'm far, far too busy to write my own).