Menu

Texas Tech homeschool?

Texas Tech's program is a state accredited PS program-- meaning that any credits earned would transfer to a PS no questions asked.

They offer credit by examination that a few of my dd's friends used to pick up a few credits so they could graduate early-- or leave school at noon their Sr year.

I can't speak of the quality of the course work-- but students enrolled full time must take all of the required state exams (read teach to the test)...

I would only consider this option if I needed to homeschool for only part of high school with the goal of putting the student back into PS for the remainder of high school.

We're looking into it but have not used it yet; UT also offers an on-line program. The one at UT is a private school, though students do still have to pass the exit-level TAKS or whatever it is called these days.

Ah, seeing that your kids are not high school age yet. In that case, yes, do know that with either of these the student would be required to take the TAKS at the appropriate levels each year, though both of these schools will work with you on scheduling a time/place to do so if you are out of state.

If you plan to stick with one or the other through high school, know that they also both offer an a la carte option where you would be free to choose whichever courses you want to use yet make your own transcript (graduate your child from home school with some public/private school courses) OR a full time option (graduate your child from TTUISD or UTK16, no ability to add home coursework to the official transcript). I realize that seems a far way off for you, but you might look at it just in case you are thinking long term.

We're right in the midst of choosing between these for high school ourselves and there are pros & cons to each although at the moment TTUISD is coming out ahead. Main things to look for --- variety of courses offered, flexibility in sending in tests, assignments & exams via mail, email, fax, etc.; flexibility in out-of-state testing centers for proctored exams, time to complete each course, etc. For ex, TTUISD allows 6 months per course (at least at high school level) and UTK16 allows only 5 months.