Menu

HWOT necessary?

mysticmomma

I don't think ANYTHING is necessary! If you think handwriting is covered (and it's legible or up to whatever standard you've set) then by all means, skip HWOT. others use Zaner Bloser, Italics, Kumon or a Walmart workbook. It really doesn't matter. :001_smile:

PS We love HWOT in this house lol.

I think a strong handwriting program is a must, others do not. I have terrible handwriting and I really wish I didn't! Also, with HWOT it really works from a multisensory point, corrects really common problems, and is pretty fun too.

Now, if a person can be diligent correcting posture, grip, and letter form, then it may not be necessary. For me though, that take s a lot of work, and HWT is just a quicker, easier way to do it.

Is this a "MUST" have curriculum? DD journals each day, so I'm thinking if this is straight handwriting, we could pass on this. Esp given that we are doing fll, wwe, etc.

For most kids, no. For my dd, who is left-handed, it was a high priority. It really helped her form her letters properly and the slang for the different strokes helps prompt her when she gets stuck. We still use the cheat sheets for reference and I'm getting the HWT for cursive next year. I don't think any curriculum is a "must," but it was one I felt had a logical progression and helped my dd get over her writing frustrations.

We use it to correct things that were allowed in school (backwards letters, no spacing, sentences "floating" or "swimming") for ds, and maybe one day the skills will transfer to other writings. For dd it's the only time I can get her to hold the pencil correct and pay attention to her writing. She's right handed but her letters are slanted like a left handed would, and she's just all around sloppy. She'll be doing penmanship next year.

My son likes doing HWT for fun.

This is how it started for my kids. Now it's been something they ask for each year when I'm ordering curriculum. So now it's something we have on our "must have" list. So this upcoming year ds will be doing prek work and I ordered his books. My dd's made sure that we got him HWOT for prek because thay agree it's the best book of the series...:lol: