Menu

MFW Adventures

We are thoroughly enjoying it. We made sure we cook something related to that week. The week that had Ohio we made Cinncinnatti Chili over pasta. Some recipes are included in teh TM, but not one for each week. I gathered some from The United States Cookbook and The US History Cookbook. For the beginning weeks we added a food from the time period or if it was a person that was the focus of the study I tried to find out one of their favorite foods.

Ds likes to cook though, so this may not be your thing.

We really enjoyed Adventures a couple years ago (where has the time gone!!!). One of the books in the book basket should, IMHO, be included with the package as a must read. It Happened in America: True Stories from the Fifty States. We ended up reading the state story that corresponded with the state sheet we were doing that day. I learned a lot from this book and it gave dd something to listen to while doing her state sheet. I highly recommend getting it or checking it out of your library!

We're in week 25 or so and have loved every bit of it. Sylvia is in first grade and has had no trouble keeping up (she already reads and writes very well). We'll be moving on to ECC next year.

One thing I did was take a small piece of notebook paper and go through about 5 weeks at a time and write down everything we would need for projects & experiments. It kept us from running out of things.

We also used this along with the state sheets:

http://www.amazon.com/Our-50-States-Adventure-America/dp/0689867174/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329342665&sr=1-2

I got it used for cheap.

I did splurge on the BF Books Early American History package. You can have them leave out some books that duplicate, but the main draw is the D'Aulaire books. We've used every single one this year.

Since you have the TM in hand can I ask a question???

Do you think it would be doable for a 1st and K? If I modified the actual notebooking/writing portions? Would the history and science info work out for that level?

I noticed it uses Pioneers and Patriots as one of it's spines which HOD BLHFHG does and I was considering that as well.

TIA!!

We really enjoyed Adventures a couple years ago (where has the time gone!!!). One of the books in the book basket should, IMHO, be included with the package as a must read. It Happened in America: True Stories from the Fifty States. We ended up reading the state story that corresponded with the state sheet we were doing that day. I learned a lot from this book and it gave dd something to listen to while doing her state sheet. I highly recommend getting it or checking it out of your library!

Thank you. I will look for this.

We're in week 25 or so and have loved every bit of it. Sylvia is in first grade and has had no trouble keeping up (she already reads and writes very well). We'll be moving on to ECC next year.

One thing I did was take a small piece of notebook paper and go through about 5 weeks at a time and write down everything we would need for projects & experiments. It kept us from running out of things.

We also used this along with the state sheets:

http://www.amazon.com/Our-50-States-Adventure-America/dp/0689867174/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329342665&sr=1-2

I got it used for cheap.

I did splurge on the BF Books Early American History package. You can have them leave out some books that duplicate, but the main draw is the D'Aulaire books. We've used every single one this year.

I have many of the D'Auliaire books and SL core 3 and 4 readers and read alouds, so this is good to know.

I will look for the 50 state book, thanks.

You are getting me all excited (and impatient) to start our own year with Adventures in the Fall!

Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Monica

I am so excited to use this that we are going to start it next week. My husband thought it was silly to wait 4 months to use it. Dd took a Nintendo ds video of all the books as she narrated her expectations for each one.

Since you have the TM in hand can I ask a question???

Do you think it would be doable for a 1st and K? If I modified the actual notebooking/writing portions? Would the history and science info work out for that level?

I noticed it uses Pioneers and Patriots as one of it's spines which HOD BLHFHG does and I was considering that as well.

TIA!!

Definitely...I am using it with a 3rd grader and find it is too little for her, after doing two years of SOTW and a separate science. The science uses the Usborne beginner books, that really seem to me to be geared for younger kids. For us, it seems like it would have been better in 1st/2nd than in 3rd. I've added SOTW 3 and RSO Chemistry.

The readings are very short, so I think it would be fine for K and 1st, with simplified notebooking. The book basket books are mostly picture books, so those would be fine for K and 1st too.