Menu

Handwriting question

4ofus

Not really a curriculum question~but a k-8 question.

My son INSISTS on writing with his left hand in his lap. This drives me batty. How can you write with one hand hanging limply in your lap? As writing increases, won't your page/book just be all over the place if not stabilized?

Any thoughts on this? I've corrected him, but he just looks annoyed & next time I notice, that arm is back in his lap. What is this????

Maybe a little humor would help? I read somewhere of the idea of naming the left hand, let's say "Mikey". So you tell your son that "Mikey" has a job to do: to keep the paper still. Then if "Mikey" is not doing his job, you can talk directly to "Mikey". As in, "Mikey, where did you go? Can you help my son out here?"

This probably sounds pretty corny, but it helped my son out. It's probably just a habit to keep his left hand down in his lap, so it might take a little while for him to get used to his left hand actually having a job to do.

HTH!:001_smile:

Maybe a little humor would help? I read somewhere of the idea of naming the left hand, let's say "Mikey". So you tell your son that "Mikey" has a job to do: to keep the paper still. Then if "Mikey" is not doing his job, you can talk directly to "Mikey". As in, "Mikey, where did you go? Can you help my son out here?"

This probably sounds pretty corny, but it helped my son out. It's probably just a habit to keep his left hand down in his lap, so it might take a little while for him to get used to his left hand actually having a job to do.

I'm sorry, I just had to thank you for this! It gave me a great laugh! (and it's a really clever idea)

This actually might be helpful :). My little guy is exactly the kind of guy who would find this fantastic!

My DD rarely holds her paper with her left hand, and it drives me nuts! I keep telling her that when she doesn't hold her paper that her writing hand has to use more pressure to keep the paper from moving. Also, she will never be able to write quickly like that. I'm constantly saying, "Hold your paper, please!" I don't know if I'll ever break her of the habit.

I'm sorry, I just had to thank you for this! It gave me a great laugh! (and it's a really clever idea)

I wish I could remember where I heard it so I could give credit where credit is due!

This actually might be helpful :). My little guy is exactly the kind of guy who would find this fantastic!

Oh, I hope it helps him. I think it somehow takes the pressure off them to remember, and somehow assigns it to just this silly hand of theirs that keeps wandering off!

:)

How is his handwriting? If it's fine, I'd leave it alone, personally.

His printing is horrid actually. :glare: He's a terrible habit of starting letters/numbers/punctuation from the bottom if it's at all possible. Horrible result. He was in school for K & 1st grade. I did not practice HW with him at home, & this is what we get. Boo. At the start of this school year I thought I'd help him fix it, but found him so resistant & defensive that I finally stopped pushing & introduced him to HWOT Cursive. He's doing much better with this b/c he is learning each & every letter correctly & then forced to practice it correctly as I sit with him. I just try not to be too fussy about the print. But it's really a rough product.

I just really don't get the hand in the lap thing.