Menu

spelling for 11th grader?

My 11th grade son is a terrible speller. We really have not done "spelling" with him in high school. I'm trying to get his writing up to level and part of that means spelling instruction.

We own Spelling Power but he is not too keen to return to a program he did in elementary and middle school. We've tried Spelling City, but being online is a distraction for him. Spelling Workout is a possibility but it seems to "young" for a 16 year old.

What would you use with a 16 year old boy that greatly struggles to spell correctly? (I think that is part of our writing woes.)

Should I go ahead and just use Spelling Power again?

Thanks!

Pam

I feel like we've used it all, but we started the R&S series with the third grade book a couple of years ago. Ds is doing the 7th grade book this year. He's in 9th grade. We'll do the 8th grade book next year, which completes the series and then I'll be looking for something else. We'll be doing spelling through 12th. I'm thinking maybe A Beka for 11th and 12th. I will say that for all we've done, ds's spelling IS improving with R&S. It was a pain to start another program from the beginning, but I think it's been worth it, and he's catching up.

We've tried Spelling Workout, SWR, the program that SWR was originally based on, dictation, Spelling Power techniques, and I can't think of what else. R&S is getting done and there's progress. It's also not teacher intensive, so my only time involved is checking his exercises, and administering the spelling test. Another bonus is that it is cheap. :)

I also keep a list of frequently missed words and we study/test on those from time to time.

If it were me, I'd have him create a notebook of his own with spelling rules, with a few examples after each one. I'd hope that he'd at least get the idea that there are patterns and it's not all impossible and random. I might start with lists like these:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor79.html

http://www.dyslexia.org/spelling_rules.shtml

If I got to the end of those, I might add Greek/Roman word roots to the notebook, so the student could see patterns in those words.

And if I got to the end of those, I might add a few more foreign language patterns, such as French words that end in letters you don't even say (e.g. ballet).

The kids I've worked with seemed to benefit more from drilling into them the fact that there are indeed patterns in spelling (and sometimes helping them just pay more attention), vs. worksheets that they fill in & forget. But I admit that I'm a bit biased against those methods.

Julie

I do not know if this will help. but thought I would mention it.

I have a dd who is dyslexic and have used pretty much every program there is. I just received a book that I think is facinating and would recommend it to everyone, whether they are natural spellers of not.

"Uncovering the Logic of English" by Denise Eide (@ Amazon). It is the most straight-forward common sense book on spelling rules I have ever seen. She just brought out a curriculum to go along with it called "Logic of English Essentials" at logicofenglish dot com. I have just scanned it briefly, but it looks to be for older children and adults and I am definitely looking into it closer.

Good luck with this. The spelling problem can be such a self-esteem crusher for those who struggle.

• 1 month later...

Encourage him to use the computer for his writing and use a program with built in spell check - one which lets him know instantly that something isn't in their dictionary. Have him make a list of what he needs to learn, and he can get the right spelling right away. It might be enough and would take away that stumbling block to writing. He'll probably be seeing the same words over and over for a while, but eventually the right spelling sinks in and he'll see fewer and fewer errors.

I would Ise TWRTR and do the Spelling rule notebook. Then, have him create a list of frequently misspelled words in his writting and figure put which rule they go under. Have you studied any Latin and Greek roots? I would do that as well. Between the notebook and root words he should get a better understanding of how spelling works.

I have a lways been bad at spelling, but I am learning the spelling rules as I teach my son, and my spelling is improving.