Menu

My tooth extraction/implant update

I had the tooth extraction procedure done yesterday under IV sedation. The doctor was hoping to do the implant at the same time since my tooth roots were shaped favorably but when she went in, the bone area was too poor to hold the implant. She had to add bone from a bone bank (we expected that part) and that has to heal for 3 to 4 months before the implant can be added. Ugh! That means I have to go back. But she said that procedure was much more simple and is similar to having a cavity drilled so I could use just a local anesthesia and a xanax (my goto anxiety pill).

The area around my tooth is swollen and tender to the touch. I wasn't in as much pain as I expected but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with not getting the implant at the same time as the extraction. She gave me a prescription for Lortab (acetaminophen and hydrocodone) and I took one at night, over 12 hours from the time of the procedure. It is supposed to help moderate to severe pain but once again, my body doesn't react to meds like other people's bodies do. It barely lessened the pain so I'm glad I wasn't in great pain or I would have been most upset. But things turned out better than expected.

I scheduled yesterday and today off from schoolwork but besides the tender bump on my jaw, I feel fine. My children will probably be disappointed but I think I'll have them do at least a couple of subjects today. Poor babies. :tongue_smilie: