Menu

Singapore bar method?

Deniseibase

when u get into older grade. It gets really handy. It is a tool you can visualize a problem and a way to sort through a problem. I suggest my DS using it when he don't know where to start but I don't force it. Sometimes it is easier for him just think through it. However, It does help when he needs it. Also, now for DS, algbra is close I also found the bar really is a concept of "x" . I think how he draw the bar can directly get him into algebra word problem.

when u get into older grade. It gets really handy. It is a tool you can visualize a problem and a way to sort through a problem. I suggest my DS using it when he don't know where to start but I don't force it. Sometimes it is easier for him just think through it. However, It does help when he needs it. Also, now for DS, algbra is close I also found the bar really is a concept of "x" . I think how he draw the bar can directly get him into algebra word problem.

Yup.

The idea is to write the problem in terms of a "unit". In 4B, my son is solving what are systems of equations applications using just a bar model. He's going to have some serious word problem solving skills!

I let him do a number of problems without the bars, bu I also force him to use the bars on some so he continues to get practice with them.

I don't think you run into it until 3rd grade and then briefly. It is used more and more in the later grades as a method of solving word problems. By the end of 5th grade it is being use quite often.

Now, my son doesn't use it often. He generally prefers to use numerals, but he will draw out a bar and figure out the units when he gets stuck. Often, if he cannot figure out what the first couple steps are he draws a bar to help him visualize and then he sets off using his preferred method.

I hadn't ever really heard of it and didn't pay much attention when it first popped up. That was a big mistake. It became necessary in later years.

I took Calculus in College, doing Singapore with my boys taught me how to do some problems that I had never really understood how to work, yeah I probably came up with right answers. but I didn't get them until Singapore.

I really like how it helps to set the problems up.

My oldest said he used the rods for some of the problems on the SAT.

I took Calculus in College, doing Singapore with my boys taught me how to do some problems that I had never really understood how to work, yeah I probably came up with right answers. but I didn't get them until Singapore.

I really like how it helps to set the problems up.

My oldest said he used the rods for some of the problems on the SAT.

:iagree: I didn't really know how to approach a lot of word problems until I saw the bar models that Singapore uses. I think we started using them around 2b or so. At that point, they weren't really necessary. But by the 4th and 5th book, I find it's a really clear and straightforward way of solving problems. I mean... of course I know how to solve problems algebraically, but I didn't really *see* how it worked until I got familiar with the bars. It's a very useful tool to have.

My son has been doing two step algebraic problems at six in level 2 CWP. It explains the method pretty well. I agree that it has given him amazing word problem skills. He will understand the whys of algebra before he gets there. It has helped me with my understanding of math and I was an advanced math student. I did very well, I can't imagine how I would have done with a program like this....