Menu

Life of Fred questions

Staceyshoe

I've been thinking about using LoF fractions next year. I'm excited about this series but a little confused about the different components.

I keep reading reviews that refer to "bridges." It sounds like those are quizzes/tests. Is that right? Is that a valuable part of the program? (For some reason, I'm not seeing the bridges for sale anywhere--I checked Rainbow Resources and Amazon which are my usual go-to places.)

I have seen the "Freds Home Companion" for sale. Are those just for the algebra and higher level math books? I didn't see any Home Companion for Fractions. What exactly is in the Home Companion?

TIA! I'm looking forward to giving LoF a try, but I want to make sure we have what we need to get the most benefit from the program.

Ah ha! No wonder I can't find them for sale anywhere! Thank you!

Is there a "Home Companion" for Fractions? What exactly is in the Home Companion?

No, the first is for Beginning Algebra. Not all the upper level books have one though. The Home Companion breaks the course into bite-sized lessons, including extra problem sets. They also contain solutions/answer keys to text-book exercises.

I'd recommend waiting to use LOF fractions until after the fractions section in SM 4b. I think it's a great review and solidifies understanding, but I wouldn't use LOF as an introduction to fractions.

Fractions are in SM 4A, not 4B. Decimals are in 4B.

I'm strongly leaning toward adding in LoF Fractions soon myself. We've already done the fractions section of SM 4A and are a couple weeks away from starting 4B. Throwing in something fun as a supplement would be a good thing for us, plus my son LOVES fractions. He could do fractions all day. :tongue_smilie:

Just a different perspective from a PP, my older child used LoF Fractions as his introduction to fractions... and so far, only needed material, for he is now rock-solid not just on the how, but on the why, thanks to Fred. He truly gets them, and can use them in any needed context with great facility.

They are reviewed further in Decimals and Percents, and still more (not surprisingly) in both pre-Algebra books.

The math is definitely all there, if the style of presentation is a good fit for the student. As a point of comparison, he just breezed through the AoPS PreA chapter on fractions in nothing flat, as he felt there was no new material presented (including working all the problems without a hitch-- AoPS is just a light supplement for us; Fred is his main program in terms of consistency and time investment).

As with any program, nothing is right or wrong for every kid.