Menu

Rewards

jg_puppy

My dd (11 years old) is a good reader, but still has trouble with longer words. I have looked at some samples of REWARDS, and I think it would be a good fit for her. It is a little out of our price range right now. Is there anything that is similar to REWARDS, but a little cheaper? Megawords maybe?

Janet

I used Rewards with one of my sons -- a friend of mine who is a teacher loaned it to me. I actually just used the student book so I probably didn't get quite as much out of it as I could have but we went through the entire student book and it was excellent. It really helped my son. I think that it would be worth it even if you could just afford the student book.

I don't know of any comparable programs although I haven't looked. I have often thought that Rewards would be good for homeschoolers, but I have never seen it mentioned other than in this thread.

I don't think it cost more than $50/$60 to buy the teachers guide and student book. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

New it is over $100 for the teacher book and student book. I saw a used set for $80. I could see spending around $50, but $80-$100 is more than I wanted to spend. It sounds like it is worth it so I will keep my eye out for a used copy.

Janet

My dd has trouble with longer words also. I found this book http://www.amazon.com/Week--Phonics-Activities-Intermediate-Grades/dp/0439465893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329107803&sr=1-1 to be very beneficial.

The basic philosophy is that students who are having trouble with multisyllabic words need practice "chunking" the big words. So, the focus in this book is on high utility syllables (the 322 most frequent syllables in the 5,000 most frequent English words).

My dd has trouble with longer words also. I found this book http://www.amazon.com/Week--Phonics-Activities-Intermediate-Grades/dp/0439465893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329107803&sr=1-1 to be very beneficial.

The basic philosophy is that students who are having trouble with multisyllabic words need practice "chunking" the big words. So, the focus in this book is on high utility syllables (the 322 most frequent syllables in the 5,000 most frequent English words).

Thank you. I will have to check this book out. It sounds like it would be a good fit for my dd.

Janet

New it is over $100 for the teacher book and student book. I saw a used set for $80. I could see spending around $50, but $80-$100 is more than I wanted to spend. It sounds like it is worth it so I will keep my eye out for a used copy.

Janet

I know I didn't spend that much on it. They've definitely raised the price of the teacher's guide. That's too bad. I'd be willing to sell it to you, but our Christian school has my copy at this time.

I am doing Abecedarian Level B with my son right now and really liking it, and the Level C will be multisyllable words.

I am not sure if I would use Level C or not. The Scholastic book looks good, too. I have also thought about getting a book of root words from Greek and Latin.

I have looked at fcrr (I search fcrr multisyllable, or fcrr multisyllabic words from google, I can't find anything by going through their site clicking on links) b/c they have sample lesson plans, and descriptions of Rewards and Rewards Plus.

I am just looking ahead, b/c it will be at least a year or two before he would get to it.