Menu

I sent an e-mail to Peace Hill Press about an idea to use SOTW1 for 5th grade

Dolphin

See what you think. Would you buy it? What would make it better while keeping it simple. Is there anyone who has done anything like this that might work with Peace Hill Press on doing something like this.

I am not a representative of the company, I have no authority to make this happen. I am just a consumer with a idea, and want to know if I am alone in wanting something like this.

Here is the e-mail I sent:

Hi,

I use a lot of your products, and am active in The Well Trained mind forums. I am making my plans for 5th grade next year. I am excited to use WWS, but said that the Grammar program won't be making it out. I am also not ready to say goodbye to The Story of the World. I think they are a great series of books, and that my child would do well having it for a spine next year. However, the activity book is geared more toward the 1st grader. In Story of the world volume 4 there is the outlining element. Also the map work seems more in depth.

Have you thought about a logic stage expansion for Story of the world 1 and 2? With the outlines and more detailed map work, and anything else that would be good for that stage that would enable us to continue working with this program. I understand not doing it as a revision as if the work was in the activity book clearly labeled for 5th graders, 1st grade parents would feel they needed to do this too.

It could be done as student pages, written to the students as they should be able to do more independent work by this time. Just as aPDF download on the site for us die hard fans (of which there is a surprising amount. Maybe something that ties into what they are doing skill wise in writing with skill. I don't know if this would be a huge project, or fairly easy to put together as all the pieces are there. I for one would buy it, I would also to be happy to help in anyway I could.

I am going to post this to the boards to see what the ladies (and few gentleman) there think. Also, they might have some even better ideas, or even have already done some of the work.

Sincerely,

Nicole

I love this idea and would definitely have purchased it. I'm currently using SOTW1 with a 4th and 6th grader. We didn't find SOTW til our second year of the history rotation. The original works fine for my 4th grader, but I've had to pull together resources for my 6th grader which has been time consuming and a bit of a pain. I would've loved to have this resource available.

I would love an open and go, mostly independent, geared towards the older student study/activity guide for the SOTW books. We are using SOTW along with other resources this year with 4th and 6th graders and I am incorporating the tests this go around. We are not using any of the activity pages this time around as they really are geared towards the younger grades. I am still using the ?s in the activity guide after reading each section and it is also useful to have the page numbers handy of a couple of the other resources we are using. I am supplementing with MapTrek maps as they are better for older students. It would be very useful if there was a guide that had questions asked of the students after each section with lines for written answers as well as direction of a second and/or third resource with page numbers to read and directions of how/what to outline and more detailed instruction for the maps geared towards the older student. It could be fairly general and still be very useful as far as outlining, directing the student how to pick a section, etc.

Edited by ThreeBlessings